The Horse Forum banner

My goat gave me ringworm a few months back and since then I won't touch him...

15558 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Broski1984
A few months ago I got ringworm from my goat. Since then I haven't really touched him...

I checked my goat but found no ringworm so I just decided not to touch him.

I know other animals can get it, too, but I know he had it...

Does ringworm go away after a few months?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,968 Posts
Most goats that have been well raised ARE like dogs. They do want to be social and come see you, and everyone else, just like dogs. They are friendly, affectionate animals who need social contact just like anything else.

If you brought them into your care without being prepared for them (i.e a goat proof fenced area, and knowing what you are getting into) then the "hassle" ensuing was your fault, not the animals. If you tie a dog up they bark too.

No offense meant, just two cents from a goat lover who hates seeing people bring home an animal they know nothing about because they are too lazy to run their weedeater.

To the OP: Treat the goat for ringworm and pet the poor thing - or find a new home for him. In fact, treat all your animals, because it's likely spread. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Like kevinshorses said, it's just a minor fungal infection, like athletes foot. Treat it, and the animals, and move on with your life. And for goodness's sake pet your darn goat!

· Registered
3,968 Posts
It does vary from breed to breed how noisy goats are. Nubians are known to be very vocal, noisy goats. LaManchas and Alpines are typically your quieter breeds (again, I say typically. My fav doe only bleated occasionally, but had her volume turned up to "11" when she did) Hair goats like Angoras are typically more quiet as well. I don't know much about Pygmy and Nigerians, they kind of came on the scene later, as well as Boers, but I believe they tend to be more talkative as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.