The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum, but so far I'm lovin it. Everyone is so helpful! Here's my question-I got a TB mare in Jan...she was in foal. Shooter was born on St. Patricks Day and he is gorgeous! I'm wondering though if someone can help me with his color. As you can see by the picture, his dam is a dark bay, and his sire is more of a chestnut. Right now Shooter is grey, what do you think he will shed out to be?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Looks like a bay to me, but can't quite tell from that pic.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
either bay,gray, or grulla.
And welcome to the forum! Feel free to come to Horse Chat!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm uploading a different picture of him, but I'm not sure if it will be any better. He has a blk dorsel stripe I don't see any black on his legs. And what is a gruella?

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
a grulla is this:
http://cloud.equinenow.com/138188_1/stallion_grulla_horse.jpg
http://www.sorraiamustangs.net/images/saloiolev_000.jpg

A mix of smokey hairs..umm....heres a definition:

Grullo (pronounced "grew-ya" and "grew-yo") is a color of horses in the dun family, characterized by smoky or mouse-colored, unlike a roan which is composed of a mixture of dark and light hairs. A lot of Grullos' ear tips and edging are a darker color and feature Face Masking, which is a face coloring in contrast with the body color. Grullo / Grulla Horses have Leg Barring or Tiger stripes at and above the hock. Same as the Dun, they have a Dorsal Stripe running down the back line.
The world grullo originates from the Spanish word "grulla", which refers to a slate-gray crane. Because of the Spanish origin of the name, some people will refer to a mare as a grulla and a stallion as a grullo.

He may get barring later when he shed out his foal coat.....?
Otherwise either bay or gray.

·
Registered
150 Posts
From all I know of the sire and dam which isn't to much besides one is bay the other chesnut...here are your chances of coat colors...
58.34% -
Bay
33.33% -
Chestnut
8.33% -
Black
Bay seems very likely to me especially after seeing his pic.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
^^^Agreed. He looks to me to be the same color as my colt when he was born. My colt is black (fading black) now, he was that same soft mousy gray when he was born.

Whatever color he is, congrats on your new arrival! He's very cute!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info....you learn something new everyday I guess. I never heard of gruella/o before!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a new foal on the 30th. The mare is a bay TB and the Dad is a Palamino QH. Baby came out Buck skin. The cutest dam thing ever. What are the odds on that.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Black TBs are extremely rare.

Foal coat color is notoriously misleading. It used to be a nightmare sending in registration documents when I worked on a breeding farm. Best practice, if you need to know right away, is to clip a patch of hair on his neck and see what color the undercoat is. With a pale foal coat like that; he may also have markings on his legs that aren't visible yet - you can wet the coat on the legs to check for markings.

Of course, the really sensible thing to do, if you don't want to have a full scale foal rodeo with clippers and a wash bucket, is to just wait and see.

Based on genetics and foal coat color; I'm betting on bay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.