The Horse Forum banner

My horse does not know how to socialize

463 4
My horse spent most of his childhood in a muddy field all by himself without hearing or seeing other horses. Recently, in a safe way, I took him to see if he would interact with other horses. He ignored most of them, didn't even sniff them. The other ones he took some interest on were two geldings as well and they sniffed each other, but he ended up squealing and lifting one of his hind legs.
This is a concern of mine, because he is a happy horse, but I just feel like he should have some kind of interaction with other horses. Many people have told me that animals like goast and chicken are great companions for horses or even a miniature horse, but I am afraid he will get scared and freak out.
What should I do?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Horses often squeal and kick when they meet a new horse. Even well-socialized horses will do this. So I don't think the fact that your horse does this means anything. I will let my horses meet new horses over a sturdy fence and typically I only intervene if they start striking (kicking out with their front feet) over and over again.

A horse that really hasn't been socialized, it's going to take some time and there might be injuries while he learns how to communicate with the other horses. Make sure neither he nor the other horses wears shoes, to minimize hurt. And only turn him out with other horses, or let him interact with other horses, if their owners understand his situation.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Yes, I agree squealing and kicking is normal. I have one who lacked socialization for his youth until I purchased him as a two-year-old in his fall year. Bones is naturally a very aggressive horse, and he is a bit of an oddball with a wire or two crossed. He also may be a cryptorchid, although I didn’t get him tested. He is either way very proud cut.

When I put him in with the herd they were awful to him. I think they could tell he would be a bully if given the chance, and his oddities irritated them. They never were particularly hard on a young horse before him. For two weeks I watched him be tortured, to an extent I wouldn’t take him out of the corral for fear of what they would do on his reentry.

I will say he figured it all out, and eventually they let up on him. He has stayed a low man, although he can hold his own in a fight. It was a hard decision to make on my part, letting him be beaten on so badly, but I did want him to be a more normal horse. I wanted him to be with the others because he needed to be able to haul with them and the like, and he did need to learn to be a horse.

He came with some wires crossed, as I said. That didn’t magically go away of course, but when he starts biting himself or fighting imaginary friends, the herd runs him around. I think they do more to help him in his issues that it seemed possible.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are 2 horses pastured across the road from us. There used to be 5 but the owners took 3 of them home. About a month ago, they brought a large pony in and turned it loose. I’ve never seen it up close so don’t really know it’s gender or full size, etc. It stays strictly by itself. Never interacts with the others. It usually stays near the watering area but if the others go down for water, it goes up and around some trees away from them. Now that it’s getting colder, the owners drop off some hay and have to really spread it out or the pony wouldn’t get any cause it won’t go near the others even for hay. I’ve never seen anything like it before. It will hang out with the deer though. So, I guess there are a few rare ones that just enjoy their own company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts