The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back story is a bit long. I'm just looking for some opinions or if someone has experienced this. First you must know I have a very long and diversified horse back ground. I have had very abused horses that have quit people and I've had flighty uncomfortable horses and everything in between.
I bought a pair of Percheron suffolk crosses full brothers 1 year apart. A 16 month old and a 4 month old. I bought them from a Suffolk breeder who happened to breed her percheron mare to their suffolk stallion. Because they were in Canada I had to wait for good weather to transport them. My husband and my really close life-long friend went to the border of Canada and Washington to pick them up, so I know the transportation was good and safe. By the time I picked them up my 4 month colt was 9 months old. He was very stand offish when he got here his older brother was completely wonderful. Long story short the older brother(Henry) was a perfect draft horse he did it all and did it easy loved everyone. Toby, the younger one, we'll it's been tough. The only horse I ever broke with no one around because people bother him so much. Don't get me wrong very easy to break. He rides he drives single or a team pretty much what ever I ask him. He always acts like he's going to lose it. You can't pet him short people or kids can't brush him he will not come near any one in his pen. He's had nothing but the best the only time he wasn't with me is the first 9 months of his life, he's 10 now. And I still can't walk up to him and touch him if he's not caught. It's strange any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
I've had a few horses that I considered being "all business." Didn't care to be around people. Didn't like dogs or cats. Had to really watch people's children if they came around.

But they were good partners anyway.

My husband had one that would buck like crazy if you patted him and thanked him for a job well done.

I always figured they were like some people I know. Or some dogs. Or some cats.

Other than having to protect others from possible harm, I didn't mind their I idiosyncracies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I agree just being a draft horse it very unusual. And I guess I just get tired of of people telling me how abused he must have been.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have a very laid back, low energy paint that despises kids. They make him a nervous wreck and I do not know why. He was bred, born and raised here and never experienced abuse from anyone let alone a kid. I also have 2 miniatures that don't like kids but they have a reason. Bratty grandkids whose mother watched them throwing rocks at them and said nothing while I was inside cooking supper. On their thankfully rare visits they are not allowed near any horse without my presence since that little fiasco.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Bratty grandkids whose mother watched them throwing rocks at them and said nothing while I was inside cooking supper. On their thankfully rare visits they are not allowed near any horse without my presence since that little fiasco.
:thumbsup: Bratty people of any age or relationship to me, Period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.