The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse is an OTTB and he has been off the track about a year now. I have given him down time because his hooves were really bad when we got him. His hooves are now all healed up and ready to go. But he is extremely sore all over the place. He is mainly sore on top of his back, his hind end, his hips and the back of his belly back by his hind legs. He shy's away when we brush him or just pet him. He is extremely cranky and tends to lock up in his hind end when the temperature gets really cold and if he is in his stall for a long period of time. I just recently put him on a joint supplement which is helping with the locking up. Now I just need to know how to deal with his soreness and what is causing him to be so sore. He has lost all his racing muscles and is just now gaining some weight back. Thank you in advanced I hope someone can help me and my horse!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Whoops, I guess I misread your previous post a little. Definitely still make the same recommendations, but if he is that sore I second the vet, and maybe a Lyme test or something.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Whoops, I guess I misread your previous post a little. Definitely still make the same recommendations, but if he is that sore I second the vet, and maybe a Lyme test or something.
I was going to suggest a lyme test too! A horse that sore to just the touch, like brushing, would make me think lymes. Run your finger along his tmj, sometimes if they are very reactive to that its also a sign they can have lymes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with the vet suggestion, just to rule out any serious issues. If that all goes well, I would recommend getting a chiropractor out to evaluate/adjust him, then learn how to massage him.

I also have an OTTB and he has soreness in his back and hind legs, too. He is 14 years old, I have owned him for almost 3 years, but I only recently found out that he came off the track at 4 years old with pain in his SI and hocks. Why his previous owner didn't have him rehabbed, and instead pushed him into upper level eventing, I have no freaking idea. He is the one paying for it now. He's being well cared for, though. He is now retired from everything except carrying me around at a leisurely pace a few times a week.

From what I have gathered, pain in the SI is very common for OTTBs, and since it is such an integral intersection in their body, it can cause stiffness and pain in other parts of the body as well. Think of it like having pain in your lower back that causes you to carry yourself differently, making everything else hurt from over compensating. Assuming it is back pain, or more specifically, SI pain, there are a lot of things you can do to help him. For example, I put my horse on a glucosamine/MSM supplement, and also a devil's claw supplement. Devils claw is an herbal anti-inflammatory that works kind of like bute, but it is easy on the stomach. My horse has been on it since November and it is definitely doing good things for him.

I have also learned a lot about equine massage and I use different techniques with him a few times a week to help increase circulation and relax his muscles. There is one technique in particular called a pelvis tuck that does WONDERS for my horse's back. He responds to it with such relief, it's gotta feel great. Also, I have made it a habit to use a cold clay pack on his back after every ride. I usually put it on him, then untack him, brush him, massage his back, and generally love and spoil him to death. After about 15 minutes, I remove it and take him for a quick walk to keep him loose.

It's all about the TLC. You can medicate and inject and have different therapists and doctors come out to work on him, but the most important thing is taking the time to work on him yourself. Equine massage is really easy, it feels really good for your horse, and it helps so much. It's worth the time and effort, I promise. I'm sorry for writing an essay here, it's just a topic that is near and dear to my heart! :) I'd be more than willing to help you out if you have any questions, just send me a PM. Good luck with your horse, I hope he feels better soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.