The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got my ottb mare, Missy. So far what I've found out is that she loves treats, but pins her ears back and stamps when I use the curry comb. I've tried different types of curry combs, but she pins her ears at all of them. Thing is, she couldn't care less about the dandy brush, so is it something I'm doing wrong or does Missy just have something against curry combs?

Eyelash Gesture Smile Art Wrist

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long has she been off of the track, and has she been treated for ulcers?

Also, some horses can just be sensitive in general and won't enjoy in-depth grooming such as currying. It can just be a bit too stimulating for some. What type of curry are you using, a rubber, hard plastic, or other type? It could be worth trying to curry lighter or trying out a differently designed tool that accomplishes the same thing.
She only came off the track a month or so ago, but she hasn't been treated for ulcers as far as I know. She shows no common signs of having ulcers but it's definetly something I'll look more into it. I'm actually using two different types of currys- jelly curry and hard plastic.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!!!

hmm.. do you always try the curry comb in one place or in different spots on her body?
For OTTBs, some spots can be more sensitive for them (like the girth spot and the stomach)

I know some horses just don’t like currys, my Ottb loves currys though.
If you can’t use a curry on her and you need to get mud off, try a magic brush! Or a flick brush works really good.
She is more sensitive around her stomach, so it might be a sensitivity thing. I'll look for a magic brush, too!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Forgive me, but I got a giggle out of your response. How do you think us oldsters collected soooooo many of this and that over the years?
When one doesn't work, you just add it to your collection.
Bridles, saddles, brushes, you name it, you just seem to collect it over the years and you get to the point of whatever you need, you've already got it.

Have fun building your collections!
Haha I guess my collection will be starting now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts