The Horse Forum banner

My horse hates her curry comb

702 35
I just recently got my ottb mare, Missy. So far what I've found out is that she loves treats, but pins her ears back and stamps when I use the curry comb. I've tried different types of curry combs, but she pins her ears at all of them. Thing is, she couldn't care less about the dandy brush, so is it something I'm doing wrong or does Missy just have something against curry combs?

Eyelash Gesture Smile Art Wrist
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Forgive me, but I got a giggle out of your response. How do you think us oldsters collected soooooo many of this and that over the years?
When one doesn't work, you just add it to your collection.
Bridles, saddles, brushes, you name it, you just seem to collect it over the years and you get to the point of whatever you need, you've already got it.

Have fun building your collections!
Haha I guess my collection will be starting now!

· Registered
2,070 Posts
Thoroughbreds are very thin skinned. I seldom use anything more than a body brush. A mitt is a good suggestion from @Ringo-Slater but only when they are moulting and you need to be gentle on the sensitive areas, especially where bones are near the surface! There is no real need to use anything harder on them.

A rubber curry comb . . . is for cleaning the body brush!

· Premium Member
8,018 Posts

· Registered
7,347 Posts
@COWCHICK77 once gave me a gift of these brushes. Best thing ever! They look cheap and silly, but I tell you what, they are not! They are amazing! I need to buy another set because they are also the favorite thing of dogs to steal from the tack room. Horses love them.https://www.amazon.com/Intrepid-Int...69174730&sprefix=plastic+curry,aps,199&sr=8-4
is that the all rubber one ? I have a round curry and it is like massaging fingers it has fat egg shaped short fingers.

· Registered
30 Posts
It looks like you have many great suggestions but no one mentioned 'pet grooming gloves' so I thought I'd throw that in the mix. I love using mine on my horses and donkeys. Mine, which cost about $25, have different size nubs so I can use my fingers to really loosen dried mud or the palm to just wipe and massage. I have a pair for my dogs too but ended up repurposing that pair for any equine showing signs of rain rot, so I don't transfer any badness. You wash them in the machine and air dry. I love them because I'm caressing my animal with my hands and they really seem to like it better than a stiff-backed curry. You can google them, or search directly on your favorite site.

· Premium Member
7,990 Posts
@stevenson it’s actually just this plastic. It seems like it wouldn’t be amazing, but it is!
Lol! They are so disappointing when you pull them out of thecpackage but every horse I've tried them on lives them. Stilts who was very sensitive about brushing his face especially his big dent in his forhead would let me brush his face with it.

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,549 Posts
I like the softer rubber curry combs that will form to your hand while using them.I do have a couple of the harder shell rubber curry's and they work just as well but the ones that will form to you hand are really nice they help with the touchy areas of your horse, all my horses like a good rub down with them and they help get that really thick deep dirt up then i go over with a soft body brush to get that polish look..
Heres a few that work good.
Wood Font Tints and shades Space Display device
Font Art Circle Tints and shades Pattern
Tableware Natural material Serveware Dishware Plant

· Premium Member
1,549 Posts
@COWCHICK77 once gave me a gift of these brushes. Best thing ever! They look cheap and silly, but I tell you what, they are not! They are amazing! I need to buy another set because they are also the favorite thing of dogs to steal from the tack room. Horses love them.https://www.amazon.com/Intrepid-International-Magic-Brush-Blue/dp/B00JPN9YHI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2FTJQYFFUS9RA&keywords=plastic+curry+comb+for+horse&qid=1669174730&sprefix=plastic+curry,aps,199&sr=8-4
I like the looks of that one @Knave Going to order it and give it a try, LOL I have some many brushes now and just picked up a stiffer brush (needed a new one for all the dry mud on the horses this week) to add to my pile of brushes I have now. You can never have too many brushes, lol..

· Registered
61 Posts
When i groomed Thoroughbreds on the track, many of them did not like brushing. The TB I eventually ended up with, Stormy, H A T E D brushing. even with a brush. HATED IT. His whole life. I think it's this human need to keep our horses brushed and cleaned. The horses sure don't care.

Anyway, Stormy loved scratching as hard as I could do it with my fingers but just hated any brushing. And several of the TBs didn't like it. Thin skin? Static electricity? (unlikely, i was in a moist climate). Just leave-me-alone? I don't know. And I've been around a lot of Arabians who weren't sensitive like that.

My advice is fine what they like and do that - soft rag, soft brush, or nothing :)

· Premium Member
1,549 Posts
When i groomed Thoroughbreds on the track, many of them did not like brushing. The TB I eventually ended up with, Stormy, H A T E D brushing. even with a brush. HATED IT. His whole life. I think it's this human need to keep our horses brushed and cleaned. The horses sure don't care.

Anyway, Stormy loved scratching as hard as I could do it with my fingers but just hated any brushing. And several of the TBs didn't like it. Thin skin? Static electricity? (unlikely, i was in a moist climate). Just leave-me-alone? I don't know. And I've been around a lot of Arabians who weren't sensitive like that.

My advice is fine what they like and do that - soft rag, soft brush, or nothing :)
My horses love being groomed, they fall asleep at times and will get to stretching their neck out when I curry under that belly of theirs.. I have Never in my life had a horse that hated being brushed.

· Registered
72 Posts
I just recently got my ottb mare, Missy. So far what I've found out is that she loves treats, but pins her ears back and stamps when I use the curry comb. I've tried different types of curry combs, but she pins her ears at all of them. Thing is, she couldn't care less about the dandy brush, so is it something I'm doing wrong or does Missy just have something against curry combs?

View attachment 1139359
Just some thoughts (50 yrs owning horses)....I have my favorite curry which is the rectangular plastic. I use it either in a circular motion or in an up and down/scrubbing motion beginning at the poll, down the neck, over the body, under stomach, then over hips and down to hocks. The pressure used is individual to the horse. Maybe your girl likes a lighter touch. Watch your girls ears/nose/mouth closely to see what touch she will tolerate....my horses grow up with this "massage" and like a deep pressure (sometimes I'll stop if they seem to really want me to "dig in" over a certain muscle group).
Something to be award of, is that if the weather is dry...the curry can build static and cause little shocks. This makes the curry very unpleasant. Due to this, one of my more sensitive horses did not like to be curried AT ALL during the winter months. So to remove snow, mud, dirt, etc., I simply used a shedding blade and the followed with a good brushing.

I found that the metal curry was not well tolerated by any of my horses.

The rubber curry seemed to "pull" the hair and my horses never liked them.

Reactions: Charlotte H
21 - 36 of 36 Posts