The Horse Forum banner

My horse is balding!

1594 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dee
Ok, not really, but his mane is pathetic and thin. When I run my fingers through it I end up pulling hairs out, and if I grab mane over a jump I pull out a handful of hair. I find that it grows slower than any other horse at the barn, and it sticks straight up, especially at my release point (it's thinnest there). Is there anything I can do to make it stronger and/ or grow faster? I need it to be nice enough to braid for my Huter show in mid August.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
MTG works wonders! It grows really fast! You can find it at your local tack shop, and it isn't expensive. It cost me 21.99(CND) for a bottle and it has lasted over a month and I still have alot left!

· Registered
424 Posts
If you are losing hairs like that and it grows very slowly that means his hair folicles are not clean and so they die and break more easily than healthy hair. Give you horse good scrub baths every week and make sure to rinse COMPLETELY out all the soap and don't apply conditioner because you will never get that out without spending at least an hour of rinsing.

· Registered
1,861 Posts
You might try adding a biotin supplement to his feed. It helps promote strong, healthy hair (and hoof) growth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.