The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the barn assistants where I board is a senior in high school. She's good with the horses and a handy little rider. She is going to do her senior project on horse/human connections, and as one component, she wants to do a demonstration of a basic freestyle dressage test for her teachers and classmates. All of her work will be supervised by the head instructor at our barn, so my mare will be ridden in weekly dressage lessons to prepare for the demonstration.

I think this is so neat because she definitely needs to be ridden more, and I am excited that she'll get a little refinement in her basic dressage skills. Plus, I think it's just really nice that she can be a partner to a teen who loves horses but doesn't have her own- I would have loved that opportunity.

I've never "shared" her with anyone since I've owned her (about 2 years now), so does anyone have any tips on making sure this is a good experience and there is no confusion to the horse with someone else riding her besides me?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
First Congrats to both of you. It sounds like a fun project. My only tip would be schedule and arrange riding times for both of you. If the student is going to practice on your mare a few extra days a week just make sure you both know. I would also have her sign some sort of liability contract if one is not already in place. We never expect an accident to happen but if it does it is nice to have a little bit of insurance against it.

As for making sure you and your mare are on the same page with different people riding. I would watch a few lessons just so you can see how/what cues are being used and create some sort of contiguity between the two of you.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rookie. Both good suggestions and definitely possible.

They had their "trial" lesson together last Thursday and it went great.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I would have everything possible prearranged so there is no "oh, i didn't know i couldn't use my saddle" when your mare has a sore back or "Oh, by the way you are responsible for half the farrier bill" if she pulls a shoe. If anything does arise be upfront and to the point about it. I like the idea of keeping a schedule of who will be riding and when then way there is no conflict.

All and all, just keep an open line of communication! You want her to feel welcome to ask questions or come to you with a problem. That will make it much easier for you in the long run too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.