The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a warmblood X thoroughbred. I just noticed recently that he is very warm to the touch. When i bring him in from the field it feels like hes just had a full workout, and after i ride him he's drenched in sweat. He is shaved, so its not like he has a ton of hair on, and normally he only sweats if i jump him. As well, hes got a lot more "go" then he usually does. Normally i have to push him between fences, but the other day he bounced an 18 foot line! Is this worth having the vet out to look at him?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's been moved to a field where they have a round bail of hay. And he doesnt sweat till i ride him, but then he sweats excessivly. And no, he doesnt seem out of breath or distressed

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I would suggest getting a resting pulse on him and then take it again within 2 minutes of finishing work. A healty horse will return to resting pulse rate within 5 minutes of vigorous work. If you horse's rate is still elevated after work, or elevated to begin with, I would get the vet out. Also check his gums. Anthing other than pink is a bad color. Push on them with your finger. They should return to normal color within 2 seconds of pushing them. If not, he's dehydrated. Make sure he has plenty of water when he's out to pasture by the way. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts