The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old TWH Gelding, his color is jet black, but he is so sun bleached that his color has became closer to a dark bay. What can I do to get his beautiful black coloring back? The only marking he has on his whole body is a very small white star.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've heard Paprika prevents bleaching, they also make other supplements at smart pak for black horses. You could try a UV protection fly sheet. I also think some fly sprays have sun block too. And yes, pics please!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard Paprika prevents bleaching, they also make other supplements at smart pak for black horses. You could try a UV protection fly sheet. I also think some fly sprays have sun block too. And yes, pics please!
That's great to know because I am just about to buy fly spray! Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I always keep a light cotton sheet on my horses through the high UV days in summer to prevent bleaching. This has the added benefit of keeping a dark horse cool, as the sun bounce off the white sheet instead of being absorbed by a dark coat.

Be careful with supplements - many of them are swabbable if you want to compete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts