The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sorry this will be a lot of writing but this is becoming a cry for help!

so i have an 8 year old ottb called romeo who ran twice but stopped due to lack of talent, I bought him about 5 or 6 months ago and for the first 3 months he seemed fine but after an accident.. it all led downhill..

i was riding him in the paddock when a bee started chasing me and being scared i decided to be stupid and jump off of romeo and run away with the bee still chasing me, romeo is known for his frequent head scratching and when he has the bridle on he will use you as a scratching post, when i finally got the bee away i looked back at romeo who was bending his head to scratch his legs with the reins dangling over him, the reins caught his legs and he started freaking out! he was spinning and jumping and broncing with his mouth being ripped open by the bit (which at the time was a baucher snaffle) and he was opening his mouth wide trying to release as much pressure as he can, it was a horrific sight to see and once he calmed down we took the bridle off and checked his mouth, the bit had nearly ripped his front tooth out and there was blood everywhere. We calmed him and washed him down and led him into his stable and for a few days we gave him some medicine in his feed and after a week he was back to normal, literal months past before i could ride him again and when i tried to put a new rubber bit inside his mouth he would shake his head and make it as high as he can teasing me as im only 5 foot 1 and hes 16.1 hh, and even if i got it near his mouth he would violently whack his head and back up. Sometimes i could get it in and ride him but thats only after hours of coaxing and when i ridden him with the new rubber bit he started slipping and getting all worked up and wasnt paying attention to me at all and was neighing at the horses in the fields who werent even acknowledging him so i just changed to a regular eggbutt and starting to become a little bit responsive with riding ive tried ground work and sure he bonds with me but the bridling hasnt helped, ive even tried bit butter and he likes the taste but he refuses to even let his mouth near it. Its been really rainy in england recently being in the middle of winter and so i havent been able to ride him in weeks and the ONLY sunny day i had where i could come up to the farm to ride was ruined because i spent 2 hours trying to get the bit in his mouth, ive literally tried every method possible and there is no way im doing this for every single one of our rides.

and that isnt just it, romeo is ok to ride in the paddock (although most of the time he does stop and refuse to move) but on the ground? the absolute opposite, his advert said 'lovely ground manners' but this is not lovely, he knows how big he is and he uses it as an advantage against me, im too scared to lead him because last time i did he spooked sideways and pulled the rope off of me and galloped off. he is even dangerous when my dad leads him and he has experience with extreme spooky and green arab horses, once i tripped behind my dad leading romeo and he started going wild, jumping with all four feet of the ground and farting just because i tripped with a plastic bag in my hand. Last time my dad led him he went wild and started jumping, bucking and pulling my dad to the field. by the way he does get normal field time and most of the time we lunge him before we ride him so i dont think it is about lack of exercise.

please help me i think ive been overhorsed and im starting to get the thoughts about selling him to another more experienced owner as im kind of an novice and have 0 confidence.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For the bit issue, he is not testing you. The bee event has created a fear of the bit for him and this is an issue you have created, but not one you can solve with your experience. I hope you have learned from that experience to always think before you react around horses. What is your experience? Have you/ are you taking lessons?

I do agree with you, that selling to a more suitable home is the best route in your case. However, another option would be to have a trainer come in to help you with that and the ground issues. Simply put, you do not have the skills to deal with either of these issues appropriately and that's okay! I think you'd enjoy riding and horses more if you've found the right horse.

Instead, I'd lease or buy a "been there, done that" schoolmaster for yourself, so that you can learn from them. The preferable situation would be a lease, if you are able to find one for yourself, as I've found they are great scenarios for learning.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
" the bit had nearly ripped his front tooth out and there was blood everywhere " Did a vet come look at this? How does the tooth look now? It might be incredibly painfull to bit or halter noseband pressure.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the bit issue, he is not testing you. The bee event has created a fear of the bit for him and this is an issue you have created, but not one you can solve with your experience. I hope you have learned from that experience to always think before you react around horses. What is your experience? Have you/ are you taking lessons?

I do agree with you, that selling to a more suitable home is the best route in your case. However, another option would be to have a trainer come in to help you with that and the ground issues. Simply put, you do not have the skills to deal with either of these issues appropriately and that's okay! I think you'd enjoy riding and horses more if you've found the right horse.

Instead, I'd lease or buy a "been there, done that" schoolmaster for yourself, so that you can learn from them. The preferable situation would be a lease, if you are able to find one for yourself, as I've found they are great scenarios for learning.
[/Q
" the bit had nearly ripped his front tooth out and there was blood everywhere " Did a vet come look at this? How does the tooth look now? It might be incredibly painfull to bit or halter noseband pressure.
i forgot to mention this but it was right after we got him so a few months and a vet did come and check on it

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

unfortunately we cant afford a trainer at the minute but i just love him so much he has just such a sweet personality and i cant give up on him even if i really want to at the same time

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
This isn't a problem that can be solved by you alone. You need a trainer or an adult that knows horses to deal with this, or sell him. My family tried a mare like this when I was 12, and I was scared to death of her. She'd rear on the ground and take off dragging you. This is dangerous. You need a trainer or someone who has experience to help you out or it'll end in disaster.

He's scared to death of the bit and is probably still hurting. Did his tooth break? Horses have really long teeth and it could have broken off halfway and still have a hunk of it left in the jaw. He probably needs a head x-ray to confirm the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
unfortunately we cant afford a trainer at the minute but i just love him so much he has just such a sweet personality and i cant give up on him even if i really want to at the same time
If you really love him, let him go to someone more suitable. Someone who has the skills and experience to help him get over his trauma from the bee/bit incident. You ARE over horsed. Majorly. This is not a beginner or child's horse. He needs someone who understands horses and their reactions. You seem surprised by some of his behavior, when from an experienced horseperson's POV, of course the horse spooked when you tripped and fell down with a plastic bag in your hand. Heck, I had a well-trained Quarter Horse who was literally used in beginner lessons for a short time, and if you came near him with a plastic bag he'd flip out.

Let this horse go while there is still time for someone with much more experience to help him. Then, instead of buying another horse, spend the money to find a good riding program and take lessons. Learn and become a better horseperson yourself so that when you do get your next horse, you're more prepared and will have a better outcome.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, that settles it. You don't have money for a trainer, and your level of experience means you are overhorsed. So, your best and only option, it seems, is to sell him. Find a good owner. You will survive his loss .
[/Q
Sell him but please tell the new owner about the tooth so they can get it xrayed. Horses with injured teeth can become very dangerous.
he wont even let me near a small piece of metal so i dont even know what he will be like with the dentist and he gets stressed and spooked easily with stuff involving his mouth

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd just like to add that you aren't giving up on this horse by selling him. By selling him, you are giving him the chance at a suitable home, with someone that can understand/work with him better. That is not you, as much as you'd like it to be. For your age, you are very wise to be considering selling and it is what many experienced horse people would do if they were in the same situation. You are looking at the factors and determining that it is not a safe scenario for you nor your horse.

instead of buying another horse, spend the money to find a good riding program and take lessons. Learn and become a better horseperson yourself so that when you do get your next horse, you're more prepared and will have a better outcome.
I also cannot agree with this more! This is very solid advice. There is so much to learn with horses and it is ideal to learn these things from someone who can teach you in a safe environment. Not only will you have fun, meet other people, but you will gain confidence in your horsemanship skills and be able to competently handle your next horse.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you really love him, let him go to someone more suitable. Someone who has the skills and experience to help him get over his trauma from the bee/bit incident. You ARE over horsed. Majorly. This is not a beginner or child's horse. He needs someone who understands horses and their reactions. You seem surprised by some of his behavior, when from an experienced horseperson's POV, of course the horse spooked when you tripped and fell down with a plastic bag in your hand. Heck, I had a well-trained Quarter Horse who was literally used in beginner lessons for a short time, and if you came near him with a plastic bag he'd flip out.

Let this horse go while there is still time for someone with much more experience to help him. Then, instead of buying another horse, spend the money to find a good riding program and take lessons. Learn and become a better horseperson yourself so that when you do get your next horse, you're more prepared and will have a better outcome.
due to the lockdown almost all the riding schools in my area are shutting down due to loss of money and are really struggling and the ones who haven't shut down won't let anyone in the yard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts