The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horse is in a paddock with a electic fence tape through the middle and he keeps getting out! He gets out when it is on or off but if it is off then he will go back in to grab a drink so I have left it off. I even see him standing right in the middle of the fence like he is deciding where he wants to go! I don't know what to do anymore because he has no more grass in his paddock but I can't move him to the next paddock because it is full of grass. If I have to I can get stuff to make the fence have more rows. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the electric fence was working on the days it was on because I had got a shock off it haha

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Besides the electric tape, what else does your paddock consist of? A solid post & rail with the electric tape at the top contains most horses.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My boy was doing that the other week, thought it was a great joke.

I ended up running a thick electric tape zigzagged down the middle of my paddock, he has stayed in ever since, seems he can't figure out how to get over it when it is zigzagged like it is

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You need to get a fence tester, sounds like your fence isn't hot enough. It needs to be on at all time, and perhaps another strand of tape. It needs to be HOT enough to land you on your ***. It probably has a ground somewhere so it is a mild shock. Once they have learned that they don't have to respect electric, you have to prove to them they do.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You need to get a fence tester, sounds like your fence isn't hot enough. It needs to be on at all time, and perhaps another strand of tape. It needs to be HOT enough to land you on your ***. It probably has a ground somewhere so it is a mild shock.
Agreed - something is wrong with your fence, especially if (as you seem to suggest) he's standing there with it laying across his belly half over it. A properly working fence will yield a much different response.

Is it a solar based unit , or plug in? If it's solar chances are the battery isn't getting enough charge to maintain fence voltage - either the battery could be bad (how old is it?) or the solar panel isn't aimed correctly or isn't receiving adequate sun to charge the battery.

If it's a plug in unit, the only reasonable explanation is that it's grounding out somewhere and the fences voltage is depleting to ground instead of maintaining the charge in the wire itself. If it's a unit with a voltage/strength control check that it's cranked to the top, as well.

Grounding issues can also effect solar based units as well so don't rule that out no matter what.

I agree you need a tester though. I've been known to do the "finger test" before, and trust me, if a fence is working properly you'll know it as it'll just about knock you on your butt when you get hit. ;)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I agree you need a tester though. I've been known to do the "finger test" before, and trust me, if a fence is working properly you'll know it as it'll just about knock you on your butt when you get hit. ;)
Hahahaha :lol: oh the finger test.. Have you tried standing on one foot with the other outstretched and using a piece of grass or straw etc to see if it's going? That certainly hurts a whole lot less, still gives me a fright every time though.
Otherwise I tend to hold the plastic end of a fence standard and rest the steel end on the fence, if it clicks, it's going.

Reactions: BudAndRocky
1 - 8 of 8 Posts