The Horse Forum banner

My Horse Rubs His Tail!

2581 12
My horse is a performance horse, and his tail needs to be braided regularly for competitions. But it makes it difficult to braid when he rubs the top of his tail so badly! He rubs his behind on the wall of his stall when no one is around, and I always find him with a tail that has been rubbed into a frizzy, matted mess. I tried washing his tail and using anti-itch shampoo, but he just keeps on rubbing it every single day! I also tried giving him those lick-treats that you hang in their stall, but he still that doesn't stop him. Pleas help! Thanks in advance!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
22,319 Posts
MHFQ, gotta love those typos :wink:.

OP, just in case you misunderstood, she meant de-wormed LOL.

And I completely agree with her post, those are often the main culprits and both are relatively easy fixes.

· Registered
5,455 Posts
You don't need a vet for either one of those problems. You need a tube of dewormer or a rubber glove and bucket of warm water.

· Registered
22,319 Posts
That doesn't necessarily guarantee that he is worm-free though. There are lots of worms out there that are resistant or immune to certain types of wormers. It couldn't possibly hurt to have a fecal run on him...especially if you already have the vet checking his sheath.

· Registered
2,205 Posts
My mare was rubbing her tail and it turned out to be pin-worms, I actually saw one come out to deposit it's eggs. When they deposit their eggs they leave a sticky glue like substance that apparently is itchy and annoying. If you are ever out to the barn later in the evening lift your guys tail and see if there is any sign of white residue. Pin worms can be hard to get rid of as the horse will reinfect itself by grazing(unless your pastures are cleaned very often). If not worms, needing a sheath cleaning is another good guess.

· Premium Member
8,066 Posts
I could be wrong, but from what I understand Pinworms is what causes tail rubbing. If worms are an issue. Most likely tail rubbing is caused from an allergic reaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.