Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :cowboy:

So basically I have a 14 year old mare whom I bought back in March, and I've lunged her probably 10 times since then. The first two or three times she was impeccable! She fell into each command perfectly. Then ever since then, I get her on the lunge line and she jumps right into a trot, which she does for about 20 seconds, before she goes into a walk without my command to do so. And then when I try to push her forward and transition back into a trot, she just won't. I've just stopped lunging her because I don't know how to get her back into a trot again and I know I will just re-enforce the bad behavior if I keep trying without knowing what I'm doing. I'm pushing her forward by pointing the lunge whip at her hind legs, and I've tried flicking the whip and using an upbeat tone, which worked the first two or three times. Any suggestions? All help is appreciated! Thank you. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,078 Posts
Your horse has no respect for you is much of your problem.
You've had her a relatively short time, not made her to do much of anything and when you do work with her and ask her to do, she says no and you allow it...
So why should she....
You need some help in getting the horse to show you respect because you earned it not beat it out of her as some old methods will tell to do.
Find someone, a instructor or trainer, a horseman who you know and respect how they handle and interact with their horses to come, help and work with you so you learn with them and by doing.
Someone knowing how to do is going to make the mare work, this horse is going to sense immediately this person knows their stuff and act totally different and compliant.
It is you who needs to learn how to do...that comes by doing, watching right alongside and having hands-on help teaching you to do...and time to practice it to get it right.
There is no magical answer for you...you can try watching videos but the practical hands-on doing is where you need to learn to read body-language, anticipate and direct and hold the horse to do what is requested...time.
The horse already knows how as you mentioned she did lunge when you first got her...you is the one needing instruction

Find someone to help you where ever you keep that horse would be best.
I offer you good luck in your journey.
WELCOME to the Forum!! :wave:

:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
50,331 Posts
wake her up. she's got your number.

you use your leading hand, holding the lunge line, to sort of point in the diretion you want her to go, and use the whip back near her hip or further back. ask with the whip, and if no action on her part, take the whip and snap it loudly back and forth. careful not to smack yourself in the eye. the activity and noise will startle her, and she'll jump, so be ready for that. when she does, ask her forward as if none of that just happened. ask her in the same ol' same ol' manner.

when you get a nice trot, get a nice canter. Don't expect her to stay doing each gait long. get a good one, and quit.

Don't lunge more than necessary, but when you do, be firm or go home.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I need a bit more information, so if you wouldn't mind telling us WHY you are lunging a 14yr old mare, we might be able to help you achieve your goal.

Are you lunging because:

1) You think that all horses need to be lunged

OR

2) You are not riding the horse for some reason

OR

3) You are learning how to lunge

OR

4) Some other reason...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.