The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 17 year old paint mare 3 weeks ago. She is very sweet! The lady that had her before me said she never bite, kicked, bucked, or ran away. When we went out to meet her, she was so sweet. I rode her, brushed her, and lead her around. As soon as we brought her home she was just like how she was at her old home (but for only two days). After two days of her being here, she now try's to bite me and the halter when I try to get it on. I have no idea what to do. Please help if you have any suggestions!
Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Are you a novice?
Your mare is testing you to see if she can get away with it. She's probably going to dream up other ways as well just to see what your boundaries are.

·
Registered
49,767 Posts
is this her normal halter? do you know how to halter so you don't bang her eye? when you halter her, is it always for work/riding? are you removing her from her horse buddies when you halter her? what do you do when she tries to bite you?

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you a novice?
Your mare is testing you to see if she can get away with it. She's probably going to dream up other ways as well just to see what your boundaries are.
Yes, I am. I did manage to get her halter on today after a lot of chasing her around for a LONG time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I am. I did manage to get her halter on today after a lot of chasing her around for a LONG time.
Try not to chase he around because she will think it is a big game. When struggling to catch her when she is in a big paddock, hide the halter and lead rope behind your back so she can't see and try and tempt her with food. Rattle the food in a container and call her name, walking in a non-threatening way towards her. Try to avoid eye contact and walk up to her as though you are just giving her a pat and some food. What kind of halter are you using? If you are using a leather halter, you will be able to keep it on her when turning her out into the paddock. This will make is easier to catch her then and all you have to do it clip on the lead rope (trying doing this by the method I mentioned above).
If you continue to struggle catching her, when she is caught put her in a round yard so she is easier to catch when you need her. Only keep her in the round yard until she understands that she shouldn't run from you. Gradually increase the space in which she is being caught until she understands that she can't run when needing to be caught.
You could also try catching her just to give her food so she understands that she isn't being caught every time to do work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.