The Horse Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah I lost my calf to a storm like that a few weeks ago :( The odd thing was the calf's mom was also struck and killed a few days before so she was a orphan :( its a painful loss, your in my prayers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. My horse was just struck by lightning on July 12. I know what you are going through. I really am sorry. It's horrible.
I've been googling about this and that's how I found this forum. It's the
worst feeling when it's sudden like this.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Oh, im very sorry for you loss!! Hugs go out to you and my thoughts are going your way! :hug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this devistating news. My heart aches for you and this huge loss. I didnt think this could happen, it sure makes me want to research this a bit as we have a lot of lightning. The death was quick and painless I am sure, and your horse must have lived a pretty nice, happy , loving life with you , if that helps comfort you. Please let us know how you are dealing with your loss from time to time, and use the good people on this forum to sooth your pain, I think we all can sympathize . big hug :(
( sorry about the spelling)

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
That's a horrible thing to have to deal with and I've always worried about it. My horses are turned out 24/7 and during lightning storms, that is my biggest concern. There have been several horses killed by lightning this year not too far from me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It was just so bizarre, she wasn't wearing shoes, and there were hundreds of much taller things right next to her....... two giant metal buildings on either side of her paddock, huge trees, etc.

I don't know if this helps, but lightning doesn't have to strike an animal directly to kill it. It just has to be close enough. Which means there's really no preventing it. Sorry :oops:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts