The Horse Forum banner

My horse won’t listen to me when I am riding her

961 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  PoptartShop
Hey, guys, so I’m at a loss and I feel like such a failure as a horse owner. I have had my Tennessee walker mare for a year now. She’s 15 years old and when I met her I loved her! She was amazing everything I wanted! So I bought her. Well, a year later and I still can’t do anything with her. She’s amazing with ground work, she follows me around, does everything I want her to do until I get on her. She throws a fit if I try to take her away from the herd, she’s made me fall off a couple times, she won’t move when I want her to. She will stand in place or move closer to the other horses and will ignore me. I have had my sister ride her, she does amazing! Doesn’t bat an eye when I am leading someone around on her. Just when we’re alone she doesn’t like it. I wanted a horse to be able to trail ride and just explore the area but I can’t even ride her out of the round pen! She’s my first horse, I didn’t want a project horse I don’t know what I am doing. I board her so I can’t see her all the time. Should I get a trainer? I don’t know what to do. I am so overwhelmed and at a loss. Any advice is very appreciated.. :(
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I would probably if I were you. She is your first horse, and someone there to help you, even just for a small time frame, may make all the difference for you. It doesn’t sound like she’s mean or anything by what you have said, but just a little hands on advice could do wonders.

Plus, a trainer could see how actually herd bound she is, and advise you on what needs done.

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,972 Posts
She's married up to the rest of the horses. If you had more experience you would be able to handle this, but since you're still pretty much a novice, she knows that, and she's getting away with it.
I agree with @Knave, get a trainer. You need someone to help you get her back to the mare she was a year ago. And someone that can advance your horsemanship skills as well.
Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.