The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mare will not stand still for the life of me, she constantly moves in circles while trying to tack up, groom, mount up, is she anxious? does she need a buddy out there with her to comfort her, it’s driving me crazy, i took her to the hay pile today while tacking up this time and she stood there and didn’t move, so might it be an impatience thing? i also don’t tie her, i have my mother hold her because if she is tied she goes crazy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Assuming you’ve ruled out all pain, health saddle fit possibilities she needs some retraining.
She should stand for the length of time it takes to tack up or do a vet exam or get her feet done. It can be important in an emergency.

I’m sure there are many ways to train for standing patiently.
Since all my horses tie well I’ve really only had to tune up standing for mounting.

None of mine are anxious so my method may not be what you want to do and could take quite a while.
If she’s actually just taking advantage of you it could be different.

If my horses walk off or circle after I’ve asked them to stand I make them trot and keep them going for a couple tight circles. It becomes work and standing quietly becomes the easy job.

It could also help to have a calm but very confident holder a few times.
You can often see the horse shift as they prepare to walk out and if you anticipate and correct it (just remind them “we’re still standing”) before they get going it can make a huge difference.

·
Banned
904 Posts
If my horse starts moving I also make them move, trot a small circle or back up

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Refusal to stand still is one of two things:
Anxiety
Or they've never been taught they're supposed to

How do you teach a horse to stand still?

There are a million and one ways, from the infinitely patient (put them back where they moved from every time they move) to the cruel.

Personally, the method I used is that which others have already outlined: "You want to move? Cool, you can move. On my terms. Faster than you wanted to, and for longer than you want to. What's that? You want to stop? Too bad, keep going. Go on. Okay, NOW you can stop."
Every single time they move. Without fail.
I also employ the "if you move I'll just put you back where you moved from" technique, usually in conjunction with the above.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
My guess would be anxiety, but it would be important to assess this.

A bigger issue might be if you are rushing the horse. How long have you had the horse? How old is she and what training has she had?

It is a red flag that if you tie her she "goes crazy." It makes me wonder if she has had solid training and is ready to be ridden.

Or if she is new to you, does she have any health issues like ulcers or saddle fit issues that are causing pain and anxiety about getting tacked up?

If you are dealing with pain or anxiety, making her move around will not be helpful. Her adrenaline will give her the ability to far outlast you, and also her brain will not be in a mode to learn.

It will be more helpful to find out what is causing the issues. Does she need more experience being handled so she accepts it? Is she nervous being alone? If food calms her, use it. But also work on learning to tie, and accept handling. She needs to be able to accept those things before you ask her for ridden work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess would be anxiety, but it would be important to assess this.

A bigger issue might be if you are rushing the horse. How long have you had the horse? How old is she and what training has she had?

It is a red flag that if you tie her she "goes crazy." It makes me wonder if she has had solid training and is ready to be ridden.

Or if she is new to you, does she have any health issues like ulcers or saddle fit issues that are causing pain and anxiety about getting tacked up?

If you are dealing with pain or anxiety, making her move around will not be helpful. Her adrenaline will give her the ability to far outlast you, and also her brain will not be in a mode to learn.

It will be more helpful to find out what is causing the issues. Does she need more experience being handled so she accepts it? Is she nervous being alone? If food calms her, use it. But also work on learning to tie, and accept handling. She needs to be able to accept those things before you ask her for ridden work.
i’ve only had her for about two months, and she just started doing this

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
Consider the lesson in this video. Is it possible that, in the same way he talks about teaching the horse how not to be fly sprayed, that you've accidentally taught her how not to stand still?

You might be able to apply the same idea to retraining her to hold still for grooming and tacking, etc,too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Consider the lesson in this video. Is it possible that, in the same way he talks about teaching the horse how not to be fly sprayed, that you've accidentally taught her how not to stand still?

You might be able to apply the same idea to retraining her to hold still for grooming and tacking, etc,too.
ughhh yes i usually when tacking het up she likes to do circles so usually i take the saddle off and wait for her to stop moving, so basically what i’m telling her is that if she keeeps moving she will get the saddle taken away

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
ughhh yes i usually when tacking het up she likes to do circles so usually i take the saddle off and wait for her to stop moving, so basically what i’m telling her is that if she keeeps moving she will get the saddle taken away
There you go!!! :) Should be fixable, yay!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I suspect this one might be useful for you too. :) It's another one that made me go "aha!"

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Aaaaand one last one, for now. If she's super antsy for tacking up, I suspect she's also probably not easy to bridle -- or might not stay that way if she is. I'm sure you can see how the principles can be used for LOOOOADS of issues!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts