The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is most of them don't. Comet doesn't like them at all, I put one on the western saddle the other day on him and I made sure that it wasn't too tight but he walked like 2 steps and then stopped and looked at me like " take this thing off me!!!" and so I asked him to go again and he didn't like it and stepped and then stopped again. Took it off and he was perfectly fine. Ginger and Luna also do similar things. Comet doesn't like ANYTHING across his chest he even acts agitated when I do anything with his chest it may have to have something to do with former owners, Luna lays her ears back when I scratch/touch her chest and Ginger likes me to scratch it she is very ichy there but doesn't like anything across her chest.
Castillo is better with it as I put an old rope cinch on him for a " harness" and some ropes for him to pull small things like little logs or small loads of kindling in an old barrel half. I have ridden him while he pulled a 5 lb load of kindling before and other similar instances so he is more ok with the breastcollar.
Would anyone have any advice for that? Any ideas how to get them to like the breastcollar?
This is a leather western pulling breastcollar.
Watch Outerwear Plant Sleeve Grass

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
Get them used to it the same way you do anything new. A little at a time. Put it on, let them wander around with it on for a little while, get on ride for a few minutes, ask them to go forward, they stop, let them stand a minute, ask again. Rinse repeat until they figure out it's not going to eat them, it doesn't hurt and they can't get out of work by stopping. It won't take long.

·
Registered
"Cricket" 2016 AQHA sorrel mare- barrel prospect and "Sky" 2018 AQHA buckskin mare
516 Posts
If you continue to take it off when they stop they will likely start associating this. I would do as above, all of mine are started with a breast collar or if I didn't start them then they get a breast collar and back cinch and a day or two of lunging with them on.
I would say it is unlikely to have all of your horses not like a breast collar though and this is more of them figuring it out than a dislike. Unless the breast collar is not a good fit/ has an irritating spot but again for this to be the same on all of them I would think it would be glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you @Dreamcatcher Arabians and @Morgan.taylor I will try that. Yes, I think that it is better for the horse to know the back cinch and breastcollar for them to be started with them. Now that you mention that I do know that my horses as well don't like the back cinch very well. They don't buck but just bob their heads or don't want to canter or other obvious signs of displeasure. I tried riding them without the back cinch next time I saddled them and they were fine as usual.

·
Registered
Western/English Pleasure, Hunt Seat Equitation, Hunt Seat (Over Fences), Hunter Jumper, Dressage
19 Posts
Before throwing something on your horse that they've never experienced before, especially if they don't like the area being touched can be an overwhelming sensation and a non-enjoyable experience. Horses learn from pressure and release, by removing the "pressure" when they begin acting up, you're teaching them that if they act up; stop; or try to throw a fit in anyway, the pressure is taken away. Hence, a behavior they will learn.

A good way to prevent this behavior from growing is train them as if it were something new, do not let them get their way UNLESS you feel like you or your horse's safety is at risk.

1. Desensitizing is a good way to start, whether they've never had a breast-collar before, or they simply don't want it. Get them used to the sensation before expecting a good result when they don't understand the pressure. I would highly suggest lunging (walk, trot, canter) and groundwork before hopping on. If they stop or begin to throw a fit, continue pushing them until they settle. Once they're calm and are showing no discomfort, remove the pressure (breast-collar) and reward.
2. Once you find that your horse is comfortable on the ground and trusty enough to hop in the saddle, remain calm and will-minded and ride. Don't immediately take things to the extreme, instead, work on bending and transitions (walk-to-trot, trot-canter, canter-walk, etc.) and a lot of flat-work. Get them used to it and don't flood their mind. When you deem them comfortable, release the pressure by getting off and removing said breast-collar (and other tack).

Remember that this will not be a 1-and-done process, it takes time and dedication.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing about these breastcollars is that I bought them ( I bought 2 ) on sale: Wide Pleasure Style Western Breast Collar – Two Horse Tack and I bought the horse size but as you can see from my hand they are really big. And don't seem to fit right probably because they haven't been broken in yet. They said 1.5 inches but they are over 3 inches wide and very big so maybe next time I will order a smaller size lol. So I am going to try to sell these and get some more suitable ones for me that are less thick and wide.

·
Registered
Western/English Pleasure, Hunt Seat Equitation, Hunt Seat (Over Fences), Hunter Jumper, Dressage
19 Posts
That's a good idea. If you don't think it's right, don't force it. However, don't give up/let them win either.

Tips for finding good breast-collars and tack:

• If you're planning to buy online, always go to a trusty website you know is reliable.
  • Always look for reviews. Always. They will give you a gage on what you're getting and give you a good source on finding other opinions on said subject.
  • If what you're getting isn't as advertised, call it out.
Western Tack | Purchase Western Horse Tack Online from South Texas Tack, a Western Tack Store
Mary's Tack and Feed - Online Tack & Horse Feed Store (marystack.com)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before throwing something on your horse that they've never experienced before, especially if they don't like the area being touched can be an overwhelming sensation and a non-enjoyable experience. Horses learn from pressure and release, by removing the "pressure" when they begin acting up, you're teaching them that if they act up; stop; or try to throw a fit in anyway, the pressure is taken away. Hence, a behavior they will learn.

A good way to prevent this behavior from growing is train them as if it were something new, do not let them get their way UNLESS you feel like you or your horse's safety is at risk.

1. Desensitizing is a good way to start, whether they've never had a breast-collar before, or they simply don't want it. Get them used to the sensation before expecting a good result when they don't understand the pressure. I would highly suggest lunging (walk, trot, canter) and groundwork before hopping on. If they stop or begin to throw a fit, continue pushing them until they settle. Once they're calm and are showing no discomfort, remove the pressure (breast-collar) and reward.
2. Once you find that your horse is comfortable on the ground and trusty enough to hop in the saddle, remain calm and will-minded and ride. Don't immediately take things to the extreme, instead, work on bending and transitions (walk-to-trot, trot-canter, canter-walk, etc.) and a lot of flat-work. Get them used to it and don't flood their mind. When you deem them comfortable, release the pressure by getting off and removing said breast-collar (and other tack).

Remember that this will not be a 1-and-done process, it takes time and dedication.
Thank you. Yes I use this technique all the time and I try to not let the horse get away with it unless they are really aggresive or I am disabled right then from teaching them but then come back later that day or week-ish to train them again about not getting away with what they want. Right then when I was riding Comet I was just going to train Nevada to pony a little for a few minutes then take the saddle off him and he is like 25 so I don't train him as much as the other younger horses and nobody rides him very much anyway because he is too slow for anybody but sometimes a beginner rider visits me and so they ride him. So that is the main reason I didn't really train him about the breastcollar becuase he is not normally ridden so I wouldn't be riding him with the breastcollar much anyway.
But thx everybody while I know about p+r method I wasn't sure how to do it with the breastcollars so that is very helpful advice!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good idea. If you don't think it's right, don't force it. However, don't give up/let them win either.

• If you're planning to buy online, always go to a trusty website you know is reliable.
  • Always look for reviews. Always. They will give you a gage on what you're getting and give you a good source on finding other opinions on said subject.
Ok thanks a lot I don't have much experience with buying tack as most of my tack was given to me by friends and family and some old stuff I had acquired before getting horses. Well, how do I know which websites are reliable? LOL that is always a concern when buying horse stuff if I might get scammed. And I do look for reviews... most of the time.
I did complain to Two Horse Tack about the breastcollars and after weeks of figuring out the receptionist told me that I had gotten the right order that is just how they make them so I gave up. And I could sell them for more than I bought them for so if I can sell them it's a win win then use the extra money to extensively research some really good ones with plenty of good reviews ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Western Tack | Purchase Western Horse Tack Online from South Texas Tack, a Western Tack Store
Mary's Tack and Feed - Online Tack & Horse Feed Store (marystack.com)
Just now saw the links they didn't load before.
I have looked all over Mary's Tack and Feed before and loved the site but never bought anything from it. The Western Tack store sure looks good. I love being introduced to new tack sites. LOL this thread may get out of hand with advice about how and where to buy breastcollars and not the real subject maybe I will open up a new thread about tack sites and stuff. It is still raining heavily here now amazing for the dry fields in summertime :D :):)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just remembered that I do have some pictures from a month or so ago when I first go the breastcollars I tacked up Luna and put them on. They probably aren't fitting right since that was the very first time I had ever handled/put on a real breastcollar but I tried to put it on snug but not tight.
Btw Luna is only 14 hh and has a narrow body and Comet is 15 hh and is stockier so there is definitely a difference.
Do tell me what you think about these pictures and how to take better ones when it isn't raining, at what angles and so on please!
Horse Plant Tree Working animal Horse tack
Working animal Horse Halter Horse tack Bridle

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
I see your saddle does not fit your horse. Looks to be pinching in front and sitting downhill, which creates a pressure point.

Breastcollar is too loose. I would make it a little bit tighter.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I know that that saddle pinches and doesn't fit right. It is pretty old and a friend gave it to me after her husband died and couldn't use the saddles anymore. As well as pinching it also slides back and down and so I don't use it very much at all. What do you think about the fit of this saddle? The other saddle that she gave me, also old.
Horse Plant Working animal Horse tack Liver
Outerwear Horse Vertebrate Plant Working animal
Horse Plant Working animal Liver Horse tack

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The horses also like this saddle a lot better and move out loads better with it and it doesn't slide back like the other one does. And I like it a lot better for the main reason that it fits better.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,514 Posts
I just remembered that I do have some pictures from a month or so ago when I first go the breastcollars I tacked up Luna and put them on. They probably aren't fitting right since that was the very first time I had ever handled/put on a real breastcollar but I tried to put it on snug but not tight.
Btw Luna is only 14 hh and has a narrow body and Comet is 15 hh and is stockier so there is definitely a difference.
Do tell me what you think about these pictures and how to take better ones when it isn't raining, at what angles and so on please!
View attachment 1139297 View attachment 1139299
Yep, that breast collar is to thick/bulky for this small of a frame horse, I dont like the way it fits, even if tighten up its still not going to sit right, this collar is more for a thicker/bull dog type built horse..

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the breast collar. Just give them time to get used to wearing them. They'll acclimate and be fine. Same with the back cinches. Just make sure you attach the back cinch to the front so it can't slide to the rear and get up into the flank area, then you'll have a rodeo for sure if that happens. Horses are just funny about new stuff. They'll accept just about anything but are totally suspicious at first. Put the new stuff on, take them for a little walk. Let them be a little spooky about them, but don't take the stuff off until you're done with what you're doing. If that's just a 15 min. walk, or a 10 min. lunge session, that's fine. Then next time, increase time and distance for a bit, and in a few days they'll be accepting it as if they'd always been there. They'll expecially appreciate the fact that the saddle isn't sliding sideways or back where it doesn't belong.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts