Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Lately my horses tail has been getting thinner by the day. I stopped brushing her tail but it still kept getting thinner. Nothing is chewing it so I dont know what is causing it. She does rub her butt on the fence quite often so is the reason? What should I do to get her tail thick again?

Thanks for the advice in advance

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Your horse rubbing her tail is breaking off any new hairs from growing, possibly damaging the hair follicle from which the hair originates and grows.
Horses shed their mane and tail hairs just like we do from our head of hair...ever notice hair left in your own hairbrush?

To help better the tail...
No brushing but don't neglect the tail either...
Fingers used and careful removal of knots and snarls must be done from the bottom up...piece by piece.
Check for ticks, splinters or debris caught in the tail dock bone...
While looking for debris, if it seems dry and flaky or encrusted with dandruff looking buildup, do as needed what is needed...
I use good human hair care products on my horses manes and tails...
Forget the show-sheen and silky feeling junk that to often applied will make the hair dry out and brittle = breaking easily.
The best way to get a nice tail is within reason, ignore it I've honestly found.
Less done often is the better.

Now, diet and food fed appropriately also helps growth occur.
Certain vitamins/minerals fed in correct amounts not only help with hoof growth they also can help with mane & tail growth...
Fats, proteins, vitamins and certain minerals and biotin are the building blocks of not only hair growth but muscle and skin too.
Many companies today blend a combination of ingredients for giving daily as supplements...
SmartPak, Platinum Performance, KER immediately come to mind for promoting their products vigorously.
Much of those ingredients can be found in quality feed fed in appropriate amounts as recommended by manufacturers directions on bag back...

If your horse came to you with a long, thick luxurious tail/mane and now it is no longer...it is something you are doing, did or are not providing since you had proof the horse produces long and thick...
For some, if the horse never had they may not have a strong hereditary gene for producing long & thick mane or tail...certain breeds are known to not have great mane or tail thickness or growth...genes either you have it or you don't.
You need to do some serious thinking about what you feed, how you care for your horses mane/tail and make changes as appropriate to the routine.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Is the horse wormy? We had one rub a tail out on the fence, even though he was on a regular worming schedule, and once he was worked again he quit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
How has your horse been doing OP?

First thing I'd check would be worming. Maybe take a fecal down to the vet and check to see If your previous dewormer covered everything. Spring is here and It's prime time for worms, plus worms are always evolving to develop resistance to dewormers used.

You should check her 'mare parts' and see If everything is clean up there. Some horse's like to itch when that area is getting dirty.

Diet is also important, generally. Have you had your hay tested, if you have a constant supplier? It's so easy for a horse's diet to get unbalanced, since every environment differs in the vitamins/minerals available, which also influences the hay. This also changes with hay type, etc. If your able to, It is a good thing to do anyway and may save you time and money by only supplementing what your horse needs. Most feed stores know where to go to get the hay tested.

Did she begin itching when the weather started warming up or has she been itching all winter?

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Has she been dewormed lately? I agree on getting that checked, as extensive tail rubbing is one of the signs of a wormy horse. Clean her area out as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.