The Horse Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 5347 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,701 ·
With my Arab, to bring his attention back to me if something is on the right that he wants to fixate on, I tickle the left rein and use left leg to side pass him into the object on the right he is worried about. And of course if an object on the left is causing him issues, I use right rein/right leg.

When they are trained well to your leg/rein aids, it is amazing how the horse will listen to you versus being worried about outside stimuli. Those seemingly useless 20 meter circles are done for a reason....lolol

Good job on staying with Fly!
Thanks. I have noticed (and my trainer has said as well) that Fly is much more responsive when I tickle the reins. I don't have to tickle nearly as much or as strong as before.

Now I see the reason for doing 20m circles.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
For example in the video you posted of Fly shying away from the wall, I would have tickled or tightened the inside rein and used inside leg to keep her on the wall versus letting her circle in and away from the wall. But that comes with time in the saddle, LESSONS, listening to a good trainer, knowing how your horse feels prior to a shy, and developing your feel and timing.

Takes a long time, and many, many 20 meter circles.

It is good to see the improvement, hoofpic. I have been hard on you in the best, so I don't give compliments unless deserved, so take that as a compliment.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,703 ·
For example in the video you posted of Fly shying away from the wall, I would have tickled or tightened the inside rein and used inside leg to keep her on the wall versus letting her circle in and away from the wall. But that comes with time in the saddle, LESSONS, listening to a good trainer, knowing how your horse feels prior to a shy, and developing your feel and timing.

Takes a long time, and many, many 20 meter circles.

It is good to see the improvement, hoofpic. I have been hard on you in the best, so I don't give compliments unless deserved, so take that as a compliment.
Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot to me. The first time going in, where she spooked for the first time, I was giving inside leg and tightening up the outside rein but she stopped and then I stopped, when I know I should have keep the leg on her all along.

I did the same thing the second time around (when she spooked for the second time), but after that, walking her past that spot and then eventually trotting her past it, I gave her inside leg again.

Actually I'm wrong, I said that this was the first time that Fly spooked with me on her, it's actually the second occurrence. The first time was actually when I was riding her past the mini donkeys outside for the first time and she went up a bit, then all of a sudden spooked and did the exact same thing EXCEPT this time my hands were up and my BO was nearby and told me "hands down, hands down". So in yesterdays spook, I remembered and since the BO has told me that, I have made it a habit to keep those hands down all the time no matter if they spook or not.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Not the outside rein...inside rein and inside leg. What you are doing is bending her body (what the 20 meter circle is teaching Fly and you) or pushing her body into the outside rein. You want her body to comply with your leg aid and rein aid. You need to ride Fly from in the inside leg to the outside rein.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Funny that, that arena work has a goal, and a point, who knew ;-)

Slowly raises hand since I'm one who much prefers to be out on the trails instead of doing arena work and 20 meter circle. I do recognize the benefit of the arena initially, but still feel that there are very few things I can't practice out on the trail as well as I can in an arena.

As for my comment on the 72 yo men being able to do chores, Hoofpic, you lumped all 72+ men in that category which is totally wrong. Just because one person can't do something due to age doesn't mean all people can't!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,706 ·
Not the outside rein...inside rein and inside leg. What you are doing is bending her body (what the 20 meter circle is teaching Fly and you) or pushing her body into the outside rein. You want her body to comply with your leg aid and rein aid. You need to ride Fly from in the inside leg to the outside rein.
Yes which is what my trainer taught me to do as well. But sometimes Fly will try to go far out and my trainer said to either use the crop and tap her on her shoulder so that she doesn't drift out, or just give her a kick with my outside leg.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Slowly raises hand since I'm one who much prefers to be out on the trails instead of doing arena work and 20 meter circle. I do recognize the benefit of the arena initially, but still feel that there are very few things I can't practice out on the trail as well as I can in an arena.
And each to their own Prairie, if you are comfortable working on everything on the trail that's just fine, and full kudos to anyone who can do that. My point was that there are those who mock arena work as being worthless, and it isn't, especially with this bad mix of young horse and very novice rider, doing things in the safety of an arena is good. Big difference as Hoopic has already found out, in taking a nice long trail ride on an experienced horse, and trying to ride his mare out and about

Yes which is what my trainer taught me to do as well. But sometimes Fly will try to go far out and my trainer said to either use the crop and tap her on her shoulder so that she doesn't drift out, or just give her a kick with my outside leg.
Why OUTSIDE leg...did you read what Sarah said, INSIDE leg.....I don't want to confuse you further, but if you are trying to keep her straight along the wall, and there is something spooky, you need INSIDE leg, to keep her straight. I agree with her as well you need inside bend, but I also, with Fergie need a good contact on outside rein....LOL it is a juggling act, when it falls into place it's great.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,709 ·
I think just about everything that you work on and learn in the arena can be applied outside on the trail.

As for my comment on the 72 yo men being able to do chores, Hoofpic, you lumped all 72+ men in that category which is totally wrong. Just because one person can't do something due to age doesn't mean all people can't!
That wasnt my intention.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Inside leg to outside rein. Sorry for the 'typo'!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,713 ·
Something definitely is not right with my friend. But its none of my business so I wont say anything more to her.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Something definitely is not right with my friend. But its none of my business so I wont say anything more to her.
But that isn't being friendly, it is when things aren't right that you should reach out. Even if it's just, "sorry that things don't seem to be going well, if you need anything just ask, I'm here for you if you need me."

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,718 ·
But that isn't being friendly, it is when things aren't right that you should reach out. Even if it's just, "sorry that things don't seem to be going well, if you need anything just ask, I'm here for you if you need me."
But I alteady reached out to her on Tuesday. I dont want to be a pest.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
How many friends have you had? Just because you reached out once doesn't mean you just stop trying. Ask if you can do anything for them? If they need to catch up for a coffee? It doesn't mean you have to completely bug them but just let them know you're there if they need you to be.

3701 - 3720 of 5347 Posts