The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is my Tb mare under/over weight? Or any other possible issues visible? I'm just wondering becuase i don't want her to be uncomfortable. If it helps, shes 16.2hh and 8yo. CRITIQUE her! :D

NOTE: On Molly's far front foot, yes, there is an old fence injury, if you were wondering, she also is scarred from previous unknown homes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL yea, haven't been riding much as i broke my wrist when i fell of her a couple weeks ago.

Thanks! =D

·
Banned
629 Posts
She's bloated, so that makes her weight look better than it is. I'd like to see her carrying another 50-75lbs of pure muscle.

Address the digestive issue with her and her apparent lack of musculature will become more apparent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any tips on how to build up more muscle?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
More riding, with head lowered and driving from behind. Lots of trot work and hill work if you have access to trail riding. Lunging with side reins at the walk and trot will help.

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
Bloated? Never heard that before & interested to learn what you mean by it?

It's not the best pic to give a good idea of weight, conformation, etc. With the way she's standing, the light & shadows, only having one pic.... it seems that she is probably a reasonable weight, perhaps a little over weight & perhaps under muscled. If you look up an 'Henneke equine body score' site, this should give you the info to be able to judge her weight-wise. Eg. if you can easily feel & just visibly make out her ribs thru her summer coat that's about right, but is only one of the areas you look at for an overall appraisal, because as with people, we're all individual & altho when I breath in, you can see my ribs, I'm still overweight! :-0

You build muscle in horses the same as in any animal - exercise. Hill work is much better than working on the flat. I personally disagree *generally* with lunging for exercise. That tends to lead to boring, mindless circles & while it might give the body some necessary exercise, it tends to lead to the horse losing focus & motivation in you & therefore can lead to training/relationship/'respect' issues. If you can't/don't want to ride, driving or long reining, going for walks with the horse, getting them lunging around you while you're going somewhere or in/over/around obstacles are all good ways of exercising the horse without 'switching' their mind off you.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Bloated? Never heard that before & interested to learn what you mean by it?
Bloated, just like people get. A bloated stomach, as in retaining water. As in a digestive upset of some sort. Horses get bloated and distended bellies all the time.

Typically when you can easily see the ribs, but the belly looks 'full' that is sign of a digestive issue. Allergy, gut flora problem, worms, inflammation, etc., etc.,

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
Oh, sorry, of course I know that condition. I don't think she looks obviously bloated at all tho, which is why I asked. Just looks like she has a nice 'grass belly', rather than being shaped like a racehorse in training IMO. Not that you can tell much detail from that pic tho.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry bout the bad pic guys, ill upload a better one later. :)

·
Banned
629 Posts
Oh, sorry, of course I know that condition. I don't think she looks obviously bloated at all tho, which is why I asked. Just looks like she has a nice 'grass belly', rather than being shaped like a racehorse in training IMO. Not that you can tell much detail from that pic tho.
'Grass' or 'hay' belly looks completely different. This horse is bloated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oook.. Now im freaking.:? Bloated?? She seems alright... what can i do to prevent it? or make it 'go away.?'

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.