The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three-year-old mare and an 8-year-old mare, and neither of them knows how to lounge. which is becoming a problem since the three-year-old is very disrespectful and pushy and doesn't know personal space. how should I teach them how to lounge?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It all begins in the round pen. If you get them in there and move their feet until they will stop and face you you will have no respect. When you change directions make them face toward you on the turns, if they give you their rump they are showing disrespect. You really need to start them over and if you can't do it get a good trainer to do it with you present so you can learn how.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. my issue is really that they don't want to leave my side. they are always turning in and facing me. I'm lucky if I can get them to stick to the rail for even a second.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You can make them stick to the rail by staying behind their drive point and swing the lead rope in a circle and if they don't move let the rope "bite" a time or two. From the sound of things you may need a little help for a session or two. Your going to have to be proactive and not a ring potatoe at first.

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
564 Posts
I always would have a buggy whip to guild my horses (never whip, use only as a tool) but to guild them, And I would stand behind the point of their shoulders so they will keep that forward motion going.

·
Registered
50,804 Posts
is it a problem?

I have a three-year-old mare and an 8-year-old mare, and neither of them knows how to lounge. which is becoming a problem since the three-year-old is very disrespectful and pushy and doesn't know personal space. how should I teach them how to lounge?
What are they doing when you DO try to lunge them? and, are you needing for them to know how to lunge, or is your real problem that the three year old is pushy and doesn't respect your space?

please describe what is actually happening .

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I always would have a buggy whip to guild my horses (never whip, use only as a tool) but to guild them, And I would stand behind the point of their shoulders so they will keep that forward motion going.
I think I understand the respect issue. A lead mare will gain the respect of the herd with bites,kicks and a lot of ear pinning and threats. I don't advocate beating an unruly animal. But a couple of quick bites on the rump with a lead rope or the buggy whip will simulate what the lead animal does to get attention and get immeadiate respect to do as asked. That would be taken care of probably in one time. You have to be the leader to be respected.
I think I understand why you don't have respect. I don't advocate beating an animal but, the lead mare will put out many more ebites, kicks and chasing to get the respect of the herd.

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
564 Posts
I think I understand the respect issue. A lead mare will gain the respect of the herd with bites,kicks and a lot of ear pinning and threats. I don't advocate beating an unruly animal. But a couple of quick bites on the rump with a lead rope or the buggy whip will simulate what the lead animal does to get attention and get immeadiate respect to do as asked. That would be taken care of probably in one time. You have to be the leader to be respected.
I think I understand why you don't have respect. I don't advocate beating an animal but, the lead mare will put out many more ebites, kicks and chasing to get the respect of the herd.
@ksbowman Why do you think I dont have respect? Are you talking about me are my horses? I dont have any problems with any of my horses, the only time I worked one in the round pen was when I were breaking young one's, they were not mean are aggressive just a young one, Just telling the OP that using a buggy whip was my way of working with one in a round pen, I used my buggy whips for teaching, when to move out and to reverse, just an extension of my arm so I would not have to work as hard. I dont have any problems with telling a horse to stay out of my box, I have smacked a many horses over my life time letting them know they have stepped outa line with me. I didnt say anything to you are the OP that whacking a horse was bad or mean, wack away I dont care. Just dont accuse me of saying something I didnt say, alrighty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tinyliny, my mare is very spirited and spooky and VERY strong and sometimes i need to tire her out before i get on her or else i have a hard time just staying on her. and the other problem is she doest respect my space and people and trainers have told me to try lounging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts