The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mare who has had problems with her back feet since I have had her, recently she got an abcess on one of her back hooves. WHat is the best way to go about treating this? The farrier came out and opened it up, so I have been cleaning her feet at least once a day. I think the abcess finally busted, because there was blood this last time I cleaned them.

Please, don't be rude. I am asking only because I want to do whats best for my baby.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Hi,

More info. How recently did it happen? Title suggests long time? Was it cut out of the sole? Was there pus &/or blood then? Pictures would be good. Since you say he's always had problems, pics of whole hooves not just abscess? See link below for tips.

Have you been scrubbing it to cause the blood? Or if it's a wound in the sole, was it left unprotected & got poked with a stick or such? That's not normal, esp some time after the farrier.

It's important of course to treat/avoid further infection. Epsom salts washes I'd use, but wouldn't put iodine or anything else damaging to live tissue on the wound, as long as it's a wound/live tissue. It can inhibit/damage the regrowth of keratin over the corium. Washing with diluted tea-tree oil, and using Manuka honey(yes, honey!) is effective antiseptic as well as aiding healing. And pad/protect the hoof until new sole has grown to protect the foot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.