The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has shoes on, which this is the first year she has had back shoes on. Which is probably irrelivent, but when i'm riding her all of a sudden she will stop up and hold her back left leg up for a few seconds, like she hurt it. There is nothing in around her frog or stuck in around her shoe and when I clean it out she doesn't flinch. I can trot and canter with her and it doesn't bother her. Could she have bruised her from from cantering and hitting a rock? Or when she had her shoes on could he have taking a piece off her frog by an accident and it be soft and hurt. I'm just confused because she doesn't do it all the time.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
It could be anything from hock issues, stiffe issues, cannon, ankle, hips, pelvis, lower back.

I would suggest getting a vet out to do an examination to determin what is going on. A horse doesn't hold up their hind leg for no reason, and if it is the start of joint issues, I'd get it under control asap.

Is there any heat at all in her joints? Start from her stiffle and slowly go down. Make sure you compare what you feel in one leg, to the other leg. Go slow, try to make sure you don't miss anything.

If you don't feel or find anything in her leg, work on the back. Try to find painful spots along her lower back - if she drops from the pressure, you've hit a sore spot.

I would still suggest you get a vet out to try to pinpoint the cause. I don't think it is the foot - I would look more to the joints in the leg.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
but when i'm riding her all of a sudden she will stop up and hold her back left leg up for a few seconds, like she hurt it.
Is she limping? You say in the title that she is limping but then you say she is doing this.
When she is not stopped and holding her leg up is she limping?

It almost sounds to me like she is giving you attitude. Stops going forward and cocks her back leg.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
How long ago was she last shod? If she had a recent trim, say a week, or less, she could have a hot nail "a nail that didn't go in quite right and has worked up an abscess). If part of her frog was taken away, you would most likely see it. Next time you pick her hoof take your thumb and press into her frog as hard as you can, if she flinches she is sore there and it could be a bruise or other issues...which may need a vet. Next check her heel, does it look normal, or contracted? Does it feel hard, soft and mushy? Is she sore when you press into her heel? If so I would say get a vet out for this one.

If everything seems fine there I would have her stand with her weigh on that leg and square if possible. Run your hands down her cannon bone, over her knees...feel for any spots that feel warmer than others. Also feel for any lumps or ridges that shouldn't be there. You can use the other back leg to go off of and switch back and forth between legs until you feel spots that feel irregular. If you still find nothing out of the ordinary then I would take it easy with her for a day or so...maybe just hand walk her. If she still seems lame I would get a vet. There are a lot of things that can affect a horses legs.

I would however STOP cantering on her until you pinpoint what is wrong as you could make it much worse. Horses have been known to canter smoothly through bowed tendons and much worse so I wouldn't gauge her lameness on weather or not she canters. I have known many a horse owner in the past who believed that because their horse could do this or that without limping, they weren't lame and rode often ignoring their vets orders to not ride....and come out in the end with a permanently lame horse.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sounds a bit like Upward Fixation of the Patella. That means the knee(stifle joint) is "catching" or slipping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, she doesn't limp other than just holding her leg up, but just before she does it she will step and almost buckle on that leg just like someone does when they step on something sharp

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got back from the barn. when i brought her out of pasture and turned her around to close gate she again held her leg up and let a little grunt of pain out. I did flexion test on her back legs, and everything seemed normal. I felt around all of her legs and didn't feel any irregular bumps or heat spots, neither did my boyfriend. We also washed hoof with hose and pushed all around sole and frog and she didn't show any signs of pain, although i don't know if i am pushing hard enough, i don't have a hoof tester.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She just got shoed last week and i cant remember the first time i ridden her if she was in pain or not because my boyfriend lost my stirup in the pasture when we had friends over for a ride and we spent most of the time searching for it. However, the second time after being shoed and taking out on a trail is when i noticed it.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
The timing with her getting shod seems suspicious, but if she had a hot nail I wouldn't think her signs of pain would be so inconsistent. You said this was the first time you'd had shoes put on the rear, right? Did you witness the actual shoeing? Did she fight or cause problems with her back leg where she might have sustained a tendon or muscular injury?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was there but she never put up a big fus just was a little stubberon cause she was in heat but she did this with all 4 legs. I have a vet book and went through the whole chapter of lameness and signs and i couldn't find one that really matched her signs.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
How old is your horse? What kind of work does your mare do, and what kind of work did she came into your life?

My TB will hold up his hind right leg, up to his belly, and then set it down. He will do this periodically.

He isn't lame on it, nor does he move inconsistantly on it - he will just hold it up, and then set it down.

It is because he has issues with his hock. He is 21, and has done alot of work in his life, and he incurred an injury to it this past January.

He is now on Adequan *just started the loading dose* and on B-L solution and MSM.

I still highly recommend you get a Vet out to do a thorough examination, so that the cause of the issue can be pinpointed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She is only three and i started lightly training her last year. She is draft cross and is a little bulky. Her name is summer, she is the only horse on my profile.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I just added a video today of her on lunge line to you tube if anyone wants to take a look And in the video i'm not constantly clucking it just sounds like it, i think its my whip hitting my camera

second video

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm bathing her whole leg in warm water and epsom salt and then putting liniment on her. I'm waiting for the farier to come and if he cant find anything with hoof i'm going to call my friend who is in her last year vet school to save me some money if she cant find anything i'm going to have to call the vet in.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I hope you can figure out what is going on. She is lovely!

I can't see anything in the video's, maybe someone with more of a keen eye can pick up on something I am not seeing?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks, its really weird. she is clumsy to so if she misses a step it could be that. Is there anything else i can do in the mean time besides bathing in epsom salt and use absorbine?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.