The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a older maiden mare bred twice last year AI and is supposed to be opened..that was at 14 days. it was late in the season so I decided to wait and we were just going to try again this year. Well... I’m having my doubts.. she seems huge and has a bit of a mini bag forming. What do you think? Hasn’t come into season yet and she hates my gelding now she will run him off which isn’t normal for her and her tail seems to be really relaxed I can move it all over and she carries it up which is weird I thought she was coming in but she’s not. The top is before the bottom is a couple weeks ago. I haven’t seen any movement 🤷‍♀️ I’m wondering if I’m just having wishful thinking. It’s not a big deal she’s on plenty of food and pasture and has good care. I am not prepared though mentally 😂 because I have just assumed nothing of it. If he bag gets bigger I will be calling our wonderful vet. She would be 9 1/2 months.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,681 Posts
I think I would be calling the vet regardless....


Aren't there vaccinations needed done at certain points in time during pregnancy to protect the baby and momma during this time and as you near birthing?
I would be making sure my mare was fully protected as is that baby she carries especially preparing for delivery.
:runninghorse2:...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,414 Posts
Yes, definitely ask your vet, as she needs to be vaccinated. Be sure and inform the stallion owner, in case they didn’t put her on any required breeding reports.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,636 Posts
While there can be thickening of the bag it really shouldn't be filling this early and in older mares springtime can bring bag changes depending on what she is eating and how much even if not pregnant. To me she doesn't look pregnant but some mares carry like that. Being bred she could well be and it was just missed. As others have said a vet visit is in order both to establish whether or not she is and to get vaccinations done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah she’s actually going to be 10 months if she’s on the 23rd of April which is 2 days. I’m not too worried about the vaccination part of it as we live in the middle of no where and I have no worries of the baby contracting anything. My mare is fully vaccinated. As I said before if she continues to get bigger she will be going in for a check in the next week or so she needs to anyways to see where she’s at anyways. I’m just wondering if anyone has seen a mare carry like this. She’s a wide load compared to her normal body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Not trying to be rude, but refusing to vaccinate, KNOWING you need to do it, simply because 'you live in the middle of nowhere' is a sign of an irresponsible horse owner and irresponsible breeder. West Nile, for example, knows no boundaries. Likewise, tick borne illnesses are no respecter of 'middle of nowhere'. Taking responsibility as an owner and breeder, and staying on top of vaccinations is part and parcel of owning a horse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,280 Posts
Personally, I would not have waited this long to have the vet check her. I would do it asap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,046 Posts
Some years ago we lost a mare to HV1 when it broke out at the stud farm she had gone to. This mare had had her inoculations as had majority of the mares there.

Several mares died and many others were very sick, all those hat died and majority of those that had had the inoculations were the sickest.

If I recall it was Pneumbort K. It might have been improved by now but to those that were inoculated it was as much good as a chocolate fire guard.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top