Registered
1,074 Posts
Just looking at these bits.

Bedford Tack

Whomever 'designed' these 'bits' was either:
a) Planet Gorgon crazy
b) Higher than the clouds high
c) A & B combined

And the colt breaking bit? Look at those shanks! Oh my gosh! Aren't you supposed to use a snaffle?!

I fret on the general comfortableness of a hackamore, and they expect you to put these torture devices in the horses mouth.

Auugh I feel nasty dirty all over x-X I need to bleach my brain or something.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Five rings on that itty bitty little bit

Oh my god I found one with a METAL noseband.

Who comes up with these things?! If I had a tack shop, I wouldn't allow these in my store. Let alone letting people buy them.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good God...*shakes head* What are people thinking?....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gahhh Yes people are dumb dumb dumb...I only ride my horses in a snaffle or hackamore until they are collecting in that! It's so dumb when people think these giant bits are gonna help anything!

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I hate that people assume just because they have a colt, it needs a harsher breaking method than a filly.
They using the generic version of colt to mean young horse - not the gender.

Any bit is harsh in the wrong hands. I thought we established that many many many threads ago.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
those 5 ring things are awfull looking and the double twisted wire one is gaaa. mls, yes a bit is only as harsh as you make it, but some bits are just down right nasty.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Eww. =[ If you need something THAT nasty to get anything "good" out of your horse, you are doing something TERRIBLY wrong. Stick those things in your own mouth and see how you feel about it. =|

I ride my horse in a solid rubber bit and she responds beautifully. I truly believe that less is more.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
You can't blame the people who use these bits - because it is what they are being taught, or lack of being taught.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose - cept for the horses.

Too many are being taught to ride hands first, or to use quick fixes.

Uneducation.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Wow! OK -- I'll ask: what is the supposed reasoning for 5 -- count 'em 5 -- rings on the bits? Are we supposed to ride with 5 sets of reins? Adjust where we put the reins as to harsh, harsher, more harsh, ridiculous and call-the-SPCA? I really don't understand.

I picked up a thin twisted snaffle at a yard sale with unfinished ends just to show my son and he asked who I was going to use it for. I said, "West Wall". He said, "Who?" I said, "I'm going to hang it on the west wall of the barn."

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
lol funny about the barrel racers jdi, its so true. they make the horses so hot that they cant control them after a while and go for the biggest meanest bit they can find.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The twisted wire, 5-ring scissor snaffle was posted on Fugly Horse of the Day (blog) under the title "Look! It's the twelve circles of hell!"
I think she summed it up nicely.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They using the generic version of colt to mean young horse - not the gender.

Any bit is harsh in the wrong hands. I thought we established that many many many threads ago.

We did >-< but these bits are harsh in ANY hand. You put them in the horses mouth and they're harsh. The weight of those rings on that teensy little chain...-shudders-

I went with a hackamore with fleece on it JUST so the horse is more comfortable with some extra cushion. I won't touch the nasty rubber one I bought when I was naive and uneducated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.