The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new horse! She's arriving in about a week, so I only have a handful of pics taken when we were meeting her. Seeing her in person, I was surprised that she's pretty sturdy at 14.2 hh (yes she's also a bit chubby after a year long break lol). She has pretty large hooves and larger knees, which is noticeable from the front. A big difference compared to the 14.3hh gaited horse I ride, which has hooves half the size lol. My guess is she is Quarter horse with American paint, but I feel like she might have something else in her too? Previous owners, who got her when she was 8, also are guessing quarter horse mixed with something else. I don't know if its just me, but I am getting a slight drafty vibe from her. Like a bit of Gypsy vanner? Only because there are gypsy breeders in the area. 馃 Or maybe some mustang? I've seen some mustangs that look like her (note: I know mustang isn't technically a breed, so I guess it's something that we'll never know haha) I'm in love with this girl regardless, and she's gonna be awesome to ride! She has a super nice slow and smooth trot, which I was able to easily ride bareback!

Registered
My guess is she is Quarter horse with American paint, but I feel like she might have something else in her too?
Congratulations, you have a Pinto!

pinto: [noun] a horse or pony of various breeding that is marked with patches of white and another color 鈥 compare paint, piebald, skewbald. -Courtesy of Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

I do agree that she's of stock horse "type" though, but with no pedigree papers, it's a moot point. No paper trail, limited avenues to find out what she exactly she is.

Is it really all that important anyway? Just make up your own backstory for her! Here's my idea for one: She's a descendant of Pegasus! She was curious about her wingless brethrens' lives amongst humans, so she flew down from Mount Olympus, crossed the world and took on the guise of a common pinto horse to try it out for herself.

Like a bit of Gypsy vanner?
Nope! I see not a drop of Gypsy Vanner blood in her. GV's aren't worth the hype surrounding them anyway, the fairytale magic kind of gets sucked away when you realize that they're just a composite of smallish Clydesdales/Shires and British Native Ponies (Dales, Fells & Welsh Cobs mostly, although some lines are known for Connemara and Hackney Pony influence).

Or maybe some mustang? I've seen some mustangs that look like her
Does she have a BLM brand? No brand = Not a Mustang. But it's not surprising that you've seen Mustangs that look like her, Mustangs are grab-bag of this and that and everything and anything. They aren't a breed, they're a "type" of horse... and I use even type loosely, since Mustangs vary greatly in appearance.

Super Moderator
I see the older style of stocky Quarter Horse in her genes.
Her paint could also be more of the stocky foundation bred than the longer and lanky build of many of today's refined breeding done to make it appear as something other than what it is...

Quarter Horse and obviously you have some paint genes cause of the markings.
Love the larger feet to support the stocky body...;)

Beautiful horse, enjoy being a new horse-owner.
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the older style of stocky Quarter Horse in her genes.
Her paint could also be more of the stocky foundation bred than the longer and lanky build of many of today's refined breeding done to make it appear as something other than what it is...

Quarter Horse and obviously you have some paint genes cause of the markings.
Love the larger feet to support the stocky body...;)

Beautiful horse, enjoy being a new horse-owner.
馃惔...
I think you're right! looked up some pics of foundation quarter horses, and she definitely has the same stockiness. And thanks! Super excited for when she comes home 鉂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later