Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D:D
So some of you may have seen my threads about looking for a horse.

Well i got one!!

Meet Zip:

He is a reg unraced OTTB
16.1hh, 3.5 years old.

He is a definitely "Mr. Personality"

and now: Pictures!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
He still looks very much like a baby :)

Things will probably change in the butt-high department, but he is way butt high right now.

He has a steep shoulder, slight sickle hock, and a pretty decent hip. This is just a feeling from the photos and doesn't necessarily matter for confo, but it seems to me his whole topline looks tense. There is some underneck muscle and very discernible lines down his haunches. I think he would really benefit from lunge work with side reins, and stretching down.

I have little to no experience with predicting changes as horses mature, so I can't comment on how he might end up looking like! If he grows into his butt, he's going to be pretty tall and handsome :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a video :)

and yes he could do with some work ;) hes been stalled pretty much his whole life.. from the track where they are consistently in a stall to the barn he is at now has been majority in a stall, due to paddock issues. He doesnt mind! just needs to get out and stretch more and muscle up more!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im curious as to how big he will get lol hes 16.1 now. I didnt think he was going to grow much more upward but ive head a few times on here that he will :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
He is cute, and sounds like he has a nice temperament.
Right now he is quite butt high, and I suspect he will not level out and will always be downhill. He has a bit of a convex head profile and his eyes are a bit small, but his face still definitely has a smoochability to it :). Neck is a good length and with proper muscling will be quite a bit more attractive. His neck ties in well top and bottom and he has nice withers, though they are set quite far back. His shoulder is quite upright with low point of shoulder with a somewhat closed shoulder angle. Back is a good length, hip seems nicely shaped. Hind legs are a bit too long for his height and he is standing underneath himself in every photo, which might indicate some type of discomfort (or poor hoof trim). He stands base wide both front and back, which somehow seems at odds with his overall lanky build. I would like to see him with another 100 lbs and a chiropractic adjustment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is cute, and sounds like he has a nice temperament.
Right now he is quite butt high, and I suspect he will not level out and will always be downhill. He has a bit of a convex head profile and his eyes are a bit small, but his face still definitely has a smoochability to it :). Neck is a good length and with proper muscling will be quite a bit more attractive. His neck ties in well top and bottom and he has nice withers, though they are set quite far back. His shoulder is quite upright with low point of shoulder with a somewhat closed shoulder angle. Back is a good length, hip seems nicely shaped. Hind legs are a bit too long for his height and he is standing underneath himself in every photo, which might indicate some type of discomfort (or poor hoof trim). He stands base wide both front and back, which somehow seems at odds with his overall lanky build. I would like to see him with another 100 lbs and a chiropractic adjustment.
So is that all around good or bad?
Sorry im just trying to learn more about conformation and what is good or not.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
So is that all around good or bad?
Sorry im just trying to learn more about conformation and what is good or not.

Some good, some bad, like most horses.

Good - neck length and tie in, front legs look fairly clean, short back length, nice hip, pastern angles and length
Not so good- downhill, hind leg and the way he stands on them, upright shoulder and low point of shoulder

Overall he does not look extremely athletic, but as I said, I think he is sore, so some of his stance is likely caused by that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some good, some bad, like most horses.

Good - neck length and tie in, front legs look fairly clean, short back length, nice hip, pastern angles and length
Not so good- downhill, hind leg and the way he stands on them, upright shoulder and low point of shoulder

Overall he does not look extremely athletic, but as I said, I think he is sore, so some of his stance is likely caused by that.
okay thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
He's adorable! :)

I second cupcakes in that he does seem tense, in the pictures and in the video. With his build, I would expect a long, ground covering stride, but he's moving very hollow and with pretty choppy strides. Maybe schedule a chiro visit or two.

One question: if he's unraced, doesn't that technically mean he's NOT an OTTB (Off the Track Thoroughbred)?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think he looks really cute and has a real bright intelligent looking eye, I love me some thoroughbreds.

But in the video, I think he looks lame. I'd check it out, maybe it's because he's not balanced in that small of a circle, but he's got some weird hind end stuff going on. In the canter, his bucking could be silliness, but it sort of looks like he's trying to fix the counter cantering, but something looks off in his hocks. In the trot too, he seems like his hocks are "popping up" alot without stretching his strides forward at all. Maybe there's other explanations, but it looks rough in that video.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.