The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
There's a reason why it's said to look at them at 3 hrs., 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and then hide them behind the barn until 3 years. They fatten up, get growth spurt, get all ribby and all belly and butt high and then level out and fatten up, over and over. Just feed him good quality feed in the amount for the weight you want him to be and 24/7 hay and he'll be fine. I'd toss the sweet feed, except as a treat, and if you withhold anything but the Equine Jr., he'll love it real soon.

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
I see. Well technically, this lot got him from an auction and that's why his papers came with him. I guess he went for a very low price so they lot scooped him up. Thanks for all the info!
You got him from what is called here, "kill pen angels", a group that works with the kill buyer to sell off the good horses that will make a better return to sell to an individual than canning them would. If you got papers, I would pull some hair and get a DNA test from AQHA to make sure who you bought is the one on the papers. I've been in a KB's office and seen the stack of registration papers sitting on his desk. Somebody wants a bay mare, quarter horse, 8 years old with a blaze and 4 white socks? He would go through the papers until he found a match and then voila, the horse had papers. Yes, they're traders, but they're not always on the up and up. And sometimes they are. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
With all horses being DNA'd now, just picking a set of papers out of a stack does not fly. Plus AQHA cannot tell you who a horse is by DNA.
I have been in canner buyers offices as well, and have never seen a big stack of registrations. If I canned a horse, I never sent registration with it. Its just not done.
With all the regs on DNA, the papers must match the horse.
I'm not going to throw the buyer down but will say he's one of the bigger, well known ones and he had no reason to lie to me. Your experience may be very different from mine. He bought skinny, sick, pregnant, papered, not papered and has plenty of land to fatten them up on and to give them time to get better. I have been at many an auction and he taught me a LOT about buying carefully during the fast pace of auctions and stopped me quite a few times from buying horses that weren't going to be a good buy at any price. He could catch details at distances most of us can barely see the whole horse. He was as honest as he needed to be and the DNA on papers makes no difference unless the animal is going to be bred or a buyer has the DNA tested to see if it matches and 99% won't.

I don't hold with some of his practices but as Thomas Tusser said in 1557 in Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry, “A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late.”, and people really need to keep that foremost in their minds when dealing with auctions, kill buyers and horse traders.

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
@Dreamcatcher Arabians
it doesnt matter who the buyer is, what matters is what the plants will buy, and what they wont'.
They will NOT buy thin, obviously in foal mares, sick, lame, stallions, weanlings, yearlings, lame horses that cannot walk on all 4 legs.
Canner buyers are horse traders. If they can get a horse cheap enough, most usually do. IF they can get a good horse cheap enough, they will buy that with the notion of resale. If they have access to good pasture, they will buy young horses, mares in foal, thin horses with the idea to fatten them up and then take another look.
Someone comes along that is looking for a horse, they are apt to sell him one, or two, etc.

The bottom line is what the plants will buy, and what they won't.
I'm well aware of what the plants will accept and won't. That was not my point with my posts at all. I was referring to the stack of registration papers on his desk and how he matched up horses that he knew didn't belong to those papers but were close enough in looks to pass. You stated that doesn't happen and maybe, in your experience, it doesn't. In mine, with this one KB at least, it most assuredly does. Hence my comment about a fool and their money. Caveat emptor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts