The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ! I got this little 1.5 year old AQHA gelding about a month ago. He looks the same as he did when he arrived, slightly under weight. He has had access to grass, hay, and is fed Equine Junior daily. He also gets a little sweet feed mixed in because he isnt in love with the Equine Junior taste. Any tips on getting him fatter ? He will be dewormed this week. You can see in the pics his ribs are visible. I have never owned one this young so I know theres alot to learn !

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a reason why it's said to look at them at 3 hrs., 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and then hide them behind the barn until 3 years. They fatten up, get growth spurt, get all ribby and all belly and butt high and then level out and fatten up, over and over. Just feed him good quality feed in the amount for the weight you want him to be and 24/7 hay and he'll be fine. I'd toss the sweet feed, except as a treat, and if you withhold anything but the Equine Jr., he'll love it real soon.
That's funny, I havent heard this before Haha! I will take your advice and knock the sweet feed. He is a little butt high but I am thinking he will even out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Body score is about fat covering, not muscle, on six points of the body - not just ribs. He looks fine to me. You don't want a blimp on toothpicks, especially on a young, growing horse. Make sure that his diet is balanced (sufficient vitamins and minerals - not just calories) and let him be a horse and grow slowly.
Good advice! I forgot to mention he has loose mineral as well. I'm hoping I'm setting him up for success!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Long yearlings are notoriously unattractive. Lol. I don’t think he looks particularly thin. I think next year you will see a much better looking animal, as he gets fitted up for work and loses that baby belly.

Young horses, as you bring him to work, are often a bit thinner than anything older too. Just feed him well and don’t overthink it too much.
He hasnt been worked much yet. Who ever raised him up until the auction did a heck of a job. Now that he has a good foundation I'm going to let him fill out before starting under saddle! I think you're right, he will only get better looking Haha! Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a number of reasons why you bought this horse from a horse trader, and not a kill pen. Canner buyers don't buy yearlings, there's just not that much to them. And the price of horses right now is crazy high. No one is going to can a nice yearling and take meat price. Most canner buyers are also horse traders. If they can get a good buy on a horse that they know they can sell for a profit, they do.
Your's is a nice looking colt. It's not that he's thin, he looks like he just could use some "horsekeeping". I would worm him, wait a couple weeks, and do it again. I would also get his teeth checked, even yearlings can need dental help.
Then just plenty of good hay and time.
I'm not a big fan of a lot of grain, I like my horses to grow slower. It would be better if he can be turned out on a large pasture to just let run and be a horse.
He's got the possibility of growing up into a fine horse.
I was very curious how he ended up at a lot with "kill pen" in the name. However, he was priced very well for being gentled, papered, and gelded. Makes me wonder "what's wrong with him " sometimes. Not sure how the whole trading thing works but I looked up his breeder and they've achieved a 50 year heritage breeding acknowledgment from AQHA. Very curious!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably because most canner buyers are also horse traders. If they can find a good horse at a good price, one they know they can easily resell for a profit, they will buy it. It does not mean the horse is going to the plants.
So you got papers on this colt? If he had indeed been in the pens to ship, you would not have gotten papers.
They got this colt for resell. Plus, if the breeder had sold this colt to go to the plant, they would not have supplied the registration.
You bought the colt from a horse trader.
If you got a good deal, and the papers, good for you! It was a good day.
I see. Well technically, this lot got him from an auction and that's why his papers came with him. I guess he went for a very low price so they lot scooped him up. Thanks for all the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts