The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well he finally arrived :) Here is my Morgan cross. Feel free to tell me what you think he is crossed with (I already know hehe). He Dam was a Morgan so tell me what you think his sire was.

Came off the trailer at 2 pm. He is hard to catch so after the guy turned him loose in my field(grr..I wanted to get to know him a little before turning him out but he didn't ask, just done it.) it took me an hour to catch him again.. He isn't use to all the attention he will be getting here. I think he will enjoy it though. I call him my big "pony" lol He is 14.2hh and 950 lbs.

**This is his only "flaw". It's a knot there and the way it looks, someone smacked him with a metal pipe (I have seen it done before from previous rescues and it looked like this so that's why I am saying it.). And he has been abused previously I will bet on but he is in a good home now and I already love him :)

**Him meeting Arrow through the fence**

**Arrow in all his fuzzies hehe

**Walking him back up toward the field.

**Arrow again..

More coming :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

**Up the road again.

**His white goes down into his lip LOL**

**Him and my sister.

**And this is what was waiting for us LOL My dads TWH (Who is for sale hehe).

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I also haven't named him yet so let me know if you think of a name. He is 7 year old Gelding :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe.. Well my last horse was 16hh so to me I think he is as well but he's plenty big enough :)

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Congrats on your equine buddy :D Don't worry to much about the hard to catch issue, that's something that easily fixable. I once owned a young colt that you couldn't even get near. Just work with him and everything will be fine.
As for the pony's training, what are you planning to do with him? is he broke to ride already? Again congrats on your new boy!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I'm not worried about it.. I will definetly work on that.

The pony? Do you mean the Morgan? He is a horse LOL but I think he looks like a pony.. He was Amish broke to ride, drive and work. But he is going to be my trail horse and maybe occasionally go for a drive for fun :)

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Aww! He's adorable.
He looks exactly (only younger) like my BO's 34 year old guy, his name is Mountain Boy (because he loved to run up mountains or some such thing haha).
I second Stanley. Or maybe Spencer? Or Shad (like Shadrack from the Bible, only not...)? I dunno...I'm liking the "S" names today.

My BO's horse is most likely part Mustang and part Morgan, so I'm gonna go with part Mustang as my guess.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Cute, cute!

I'm all over naming horses after movies right now so all that comes to mind is Jasper or Riley (Twilight) or Theoden (LOL, Lord of the rings)
Movie names aside I have been naming horses after money like Lotto or Cash, would be cute too. Then theres a new song I hear constant "Cowboy Casanova" Casanova is a cute name (I'll stop now...)

Edit to ad:
Don't worry about "working on catching him" in fact, ignore him. Walk up, as soon as he turns you turn and walk away. He'll stop and go "Uhhhmm... " you turn and walk towards him again, you'll get closer, he'll probably go again, as soon as he starts to walk away, you turn and go back the way you came again. Once again he'll stop and scratch his head. If played right they forget they were trying to leave and will end up following you.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cute, cute!

I'm all over naming horses after movies right now so all that comes to mind is Jasper or Riley (Twilight) or Theoden (LOL, Lord of the rings)
Movie names aside I have been naming horses after money like Lotto or Cash, would be cute too. Then theres a new song I hear constant "Cowboy Casanova" Casanova is a cute name (I'll stop now...)

Edit to ad:
Don't worry about "working on catching him" in fact, ignore him. Walk up, as soon as he turns you turn and walk away. He'll stop and go "Uhhhmm... " you turn and walk towards him again, you'll get closer, he'll probably go again, as soon as he starts to walk away, you turn and go back the way you came again. Once again he'll stop and scratch his head. If played right they forget they were trying to leave and will end up following you.
Ohhhhh.... I LOVE "Cowboy Casanova" :) I think they maybe a name I consider hehe

Great idea on the catching I will try that :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'll second the QH cross... he is So cute! Cowboy Casanova would be AWESOME! haha Good luck with him

·
Registered
475 Posts
Name him Donatello! I wanted to name my market goat this year Donatello, but I'm raising a market DOE so the name was out. Then I was going to name my horse Donatello, but she ended up being a mare... Everything I acquire is female. He's so handsome!!!!! I love his face.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much.. I knew you would never guess hehe.. His sire is a RACKING horse! Can you believe it? I don't think he took anything after his dad.. LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
omg soooo cute.... yer you should call it like bently or bailey!!!!!!!! or even somthin like nugget or nugge

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with New Image. When you're trying to catch him walk in and as soon as he looks like he might walk away or he's just plain looking at you, walk in the opposite direction.
In my experience, most horses will go 'huh, why aren't you trying to catch me and will walk straight up to you.'

Well, I love helping name horses so here are a few ideas.
-Bently (I like that one)
-Oscar
-Phoenix
-Ted or Teddy
-Felix
-Odie or Oden
-Ty
-Leon
-Charlie
-Boots
-Logan

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone! I think I have decided on Winter Wonderland :) Haha becuase the day he came there was snow on the ground and I love that song and it's Winter :) I also like having a different name..

As for the catching, he came right up to me yesterday :) So we are making progress hehe

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the name Bentley as someone up there suggested. He is adorable and I too, love the little white on his nose that goes to his lip!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts