The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to the tack swap today, and of course there was nothing there. My trainer went with me, and she knows of a guy who sells tack, so we drove down. LOOK WHAT I GOT!!!!!!!

For Seth's room:
DSCF5151.JPG

Seriously this saddle only weighs like 2 pounds. I could hang it from his ceiling fan lol jk
DSCF5150.JPG

And the buy of the day!:
DSCF5159.JPG

My new 17" California Custom made saddle:
DSCF5153.JPG

And a pic just for fun:
DSCF5160.JPG

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Oh my gosh they are cute pics :) And very nice looking saddles (not that i know anything about western tack!) :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies! I'm super excited to try out my new saddle. Can anyone tell me how to go about cleaning a saddle? I got some saddle soap and some neatsfeet protectant stuff.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Moxie, use a brush when you oil your new saddle. Many people forget to get the oil on the underside of the skirt and fenders.

Speaking of the fenders, take your stirrups off and pull the fenders down. They are too far up into the skirt. The idea of the fender is to protect your leg and jeans from the sweat of your horse and with them up so high, it can't do it's job.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Nice Saddles! And I like the horse. Is that a new breed? ;)

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
How exciting :) look at the little cowboy. Now you need the horse to go with it :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I just looked and the fenders don't go down any lower. AND, the stirrups barely go short enough. lol

·
Super Moderator
26,534 Posts
that looks like a nice saddle... I really like it... looks comfy too... now for the one on the dog... can you get a little monkey to ride the dog now? I think if you did that we could have a special on our show that would send our ratings through the roof......

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Ooo, I'm so happy for you, Mox! Looks really nice! That tiny little saddle is the cutest thing! Yeah, I agree with FP, or maybe Tilly could ride the Labraclyde. :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that looks like a nice saddle... I really like it... looks comfy too... now for the one on the dog... can you get a little monkey to ride the dog now? I think if you did that we could have a special on our show that would send our ratings through the roof......
LOL The closest I have is Tilly, and she doesnt fit on the saddle very well, she's too long. haha

I am going to take the mini saddle out to the barn on Thursday and put it on Fritz (the draft) and Winston (the mastiff).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
that there dog looks mighty handsome under saddle!!! hahahahaha

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Great find Moxie!!! :D

You don't have to "tear apart" your saddle to do what Bill suggested. You want your fenders to look like the ones on seth's saddle.

Do one side at a time so you have a reference for what they are supposed to look like. If you're super scared, you should be able to take the strap above the stirups...(looks like a tiny belt- called the Hobble strap)...off and lay it up on the seat. Now grab each side (L&R) of the fender on the fat part and pull down. The fender should just slide down...somtimes it takes some convincing but it will go. The fender and stirup leathers are usually just a big loop. Don't be scared. Adjust the fender to look like seth's does and put the hobble strap back on. You can use the other side as reference on how to put the hobble back on...it's really a 5 minute job.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :p

You'll want to get used to how your saddle works. I find that I just do oneside at a time so I always have a way to put it back together should I get turned around or backwards!!! LOL Not that that ever happens to me. :roll:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great find Moxie!!! :D

You don't have to "tear apart" your saddle to do what Bill suggested. You want your fenders to look like the ones on seth's saddle.

Do one side at a time so you have a reference for what they are supposed to look like. If you're super scared, you should be able to take the strap above the stirups...(looks like a tiny belt- called the Hobble strap)...off and lay it up on the seat. Now grab each side (L&R) of the fender on the fat part and pull down. The fender should just slide down...somtimes it takes some convincing but it will go. The fender and stirup leathers are usually just a big loop. Don't be scared. Adjust the fender to look like seth's does and put the hobble strap back on. You can use the other side as reference on how to put the hobble back on...it's really a 5 minute job.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :p

You'll want to get used to how your saddle works. I find that I just do oneside at a time so I always have a way to put it back together should I get turned around or backwards!!! LOL Not that that ever happens to me. :roll:
Bill and I have actually been PM'ing back and forth about it. I took everything off the stirrup, so I just have free moving leathers, I pulled on the fender, and it didnt budge an inch!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Hmmmmmm... That's odd. I'm glad he's helping you with this though. Maybe you're instructor at the barn can give you a hand with it. It's hard to tell when we can't be "hands on".

Anywho...Glad you're working on it.

My only advice then is to get a hole punch. They're great for us short legged ladies!!! A couple more holes and voila! Perfect stirups!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.