The Horse Forum banner

My noble little mare

818 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Milton'sMama
Hello everyone! I recently bought a 14.1hh pally paint (unsure of breeding, so just guessing she’s a paint/ quarter idk)
She arrived today and settled in really quickly, I love her so much.
Anyway I had some questions, she seems to have a really human eye, her eyes were like that when I test rode her, in transit, and when she got to me. I’ve looked at Appaloosas before and they tend to have the same eye (though I don’t think she’s appy bred, I have no idea) is this common in paints? Her eyes also seem to be a bit bloodshot (though she did just spend 6 days travelling/ in a stable to get to me) so I was wondering if something was up with that…

Also! She has an amazing thick tail and mane, but with her tail it’s blonde on the outside and black/ chestnut on the inside, I don’t think it’s dirt or anything because it’s covered by her pally tail.
Anyway I’ve included photos!
Ty!
Horse Eyelash Human body Liver Working animal
Horse Working animal Terrestrial animal Mane Pack animal

Sky Working animal Fence Horse tack Bridle

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
She's a paint.
My paint has some white sclera, that is the white rim seen of the eye, also....and my guy is paint with quarter horse crossings back generations. It is a common trait in paints.

The tail is a mix of the haircoat seen on the horse....so yes, again perfectly normal the tail be many shades mixed together.
My guy also has a thick tail and mane. I found in Appaloosa it was more often seen a thinner mane or tail, with mane sometimes wispy and very fragile...but not in all App's either...
Your horse is their own mix of DNA and with that comes traits special to them and no other.

Enjoy your new horse....nice animal.
🐴...

· Registered
16,992 Posts
She's Paint or Pinto, depending on her breeding. If she's got no papers then she's pinto. Her tail is a mix of colors and probably, dirty. Light tails tend to be darker unless you keep them up, a mix of dirt, urine, grease, grooming products, mud., you name it, it gets in there. You may find that she shows less white around her eye once she settles in and realizes she's HOME. Right now she's probably still a bit looky from the trip and new locations, new horses, new people. Pretty girl, I'm glad you found each other!

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She looks like a pampered princess! Beautiful eye and pretty multicoloured tail. Hope she continues to settle in well. Congratulations!!!
She’s definitely a princess! Hates getting dirty, she always steps around poo and puddles (not watershy, I made sure by leading her through a big puddle)
She just hates dirt 😂 thank goodness though

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's Paint or Pinto, depending on her breeding. If she's got no papers then she's pinto. Her tail is a mix of colors and probably, dirty. Light tails tend to be darker unless you keep them up, a mix of dirt, urine, grease, grooming products, mud., you name it, it gets in there. You may find that she shows less white around her eye once she settles in and realizes she's HOME. Right now she's probably still a bit looky from the trip and new locations, new horses, new people. Pretty girl, I'm glad you found each other!
Thanks! I’m glad too!
I found the multi coloured tail when I was grooming her and it wasn’t really just this clump of dirty hair, a bunch of entire strands were black, chestnut and white, and as I said above she HATES getting dirty (plus she had a bath before she got here lol) I’m bathing her today to make sure

· Super Moderator
17,141 Posts
Horses with cream and Nd1 concentrate color along the dorsal line and it can be same or darker than what base coat would be without cream gene. True white will be from a white spot on the tail. Same as body or creamy like flaxen is the normal for a palomino

· Super Moderator
17,141 Posts
I don't have a picture of his tail or mane parted but he is cream with homozygous Nd1. The core of his tail and mane appear black. If I were to roach his mane sparse though it is it would look like a fjord's.
Horse Plant Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

· Registered
386 Posts
She's lovely!
As already mentioned, her eyes and her tail are both perfectly normal for her breeding and coloring.
I love "human eyes" as a way to describe the white sclera. I have an appaloosa (and have always loved the breed...my first horse almost 35 years ago was an app), and I love his eyes. He has so much personality. I think he looks like a cartoon horse, lol.

Enjoy your girl!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.