The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top dressing? Not even if it were smothered in gravy. If my guy can smell Equi Pride in the feed he won't touch it and that wastes food.

Any ideas to get a picky eater to take his medicine? gradually increasing from a minuscule amount does not seem to be helping.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, ha ha. I should add that the load up dose, or whatever they call it, is 2 whole cups! That would be a lot of apple sauce. :) I did use that trick to get a mare used to the wormer tube and it worked like a treat!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I agree with the applesauce! Start with a small amount of the supplement and build it gradually. Better he get some then none. Also, can you switch brands? Maybe there is a more palatable.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
2 cups?! Is it a pellet or a powder? Have you tried soaked alfalfa pellets?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose I could switch brands, but I have a new 5gal bucket of it. LOL. yeah 2 cups! Alfalpha pellets are on my list, so i will try that as well.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
When I had to feed my horse a nasty tasting/smelling supplement for his cough I had good success hiding it in soaked alfalfa pellets. My horse loves alfalfa, so it works great for him. If your horse isn't as big a fan you could also try beet pulp and/or rice bran. But if your horse just won't eat it no matter what you might need to ditch it and try a different brand supplement.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the stuff.

Well he just gets round bales, 6 handfuls of sweet feed on nights I visit the barn, and gluquestrian for his navicular.

hmm, the brochure say:

"Q. My horse is VERY picky. What can I do if the horse doesn’t take to​
EquiPride® right away?

A. Every horse is different. Most will eat​
EquiPride® out of your hand on the fi rst try and some take a little coaxing.

Try to mix a pinch in with their feed and slowly increase this over a two week period. Other methods include mixing it​
with wetted beet pulp or applesauce."

So i guess you are right about the apple sauce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.