The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Farrier was here yesterday. He took her shoes off for the winter after years and years being shoed. I know it will take some time to be clear if she can do it or not, but she's so poor right now. Ground is not the softest and I hope it will rain soon to make it easier for my girl. She is lame and it's horrible to watch her walk. It's like my foundered pony when we got him, but on all 4 legs.
She's being clumsy and she trips. It's like learning how to walk.

Anyway, can I make it easier for her somehow? She has a lot of bedding in the stall and she was out only for few hours - mostly just standing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My gelding was exactly the same last spring when we pulled his shoes. He only had fronts but who knows for how long. I was told iodine can help them toughen up. He was only tender on gravel though and in front not backs. I didn't buy any boots, the tenderness lasted 2 weeksish. It gets better I promise. Maybe some bute? Something like 1/2 gram a day to take the edge off? If that doesn't work maybe 1 gram?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
This is a tough one. But only time will tell if she can really be barefoot...I had a mare who couldnt step over an indented blade of grass without going lame.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
She may not be able to handle it, but give her a few days. If she gets worse, like abscess or founder bad, get the farrier back out stat. Painting the bottoms of her hooves with concentrated iodine will help toughen her soles up, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.