The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out to take some pictures of the horses, for Christmas cards. I saw some stuff on Peteys leg, and pointed it out to my mom. We got him out, and it was a cut.. A kinda big cut. It is on his back leg, in the front on his hock. We cleaned it, and but him in a smaller pen for the night, and we were going to take better care of it in the AM. In the morning, it was still really swollen, and he was still lame. His leg is swollen all the way down form the hock. We called the vet, and he came out. He cleaned it, and he thinks that he cut some of the tendon in his leg. Now he is on stall rest for about 4 weeks.
I feel so bad because he is in pain, and does not want to walk. The vet does not want us to give him a lot of bute, because he will walk on it more. I really hope it heals fast. I cant ride him for 4+ weeks.
He is now doing a little better, but it is still gross. We have no clue what he did.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
So sorry to hear about your horse, I hope he heals up real soon. I also agree with Kiwi, we need bubble wrap!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
325 Posts
I feel your pain. My Arabian had a puncture wound this last year that punctured into the joint. Trying to keep that ****** bandaged and penned up was a nightmare! You can rub some coconut oil on and around the wound. It is an antibiotic, will help speed healing as well as reduce pain and stiffness a little.

Reactions: Sweatie Petey

·
Registered
49,720 Posts
I assume the vet proscribed antibiotics? if the wound broke into the tendon, aren't antibiotics a necessary thing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume the vet proscribed antibiotics? if the wound broke into the tendon, aren't antibiotics a necessary thing?
He did not give ant antibiotics. Not sure why..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.