The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is in full swing here and all the trees have popped; instead of the light, thin twigs-for-branches, they are now heavy and thick with leaves. I took my horse out for a trail ride the other day. It was just going to be a quick little maintenance ride, so I decided to ride bareback.

We came to a little opening where a tree and its low hanging branches were blocking the path. Instead of just taking the two extra seconds to go around, I decided to just go under the branches. Sounds easy enough, right? Just duck, duh!

I asked my horse to go forward, and she said, "no." I asked her to go forward again, and she said, "okay...." She starts taking these hesitant baby steps forward, so there is plenty of time in advance to duck. She drops her head, and I duck. Her head, neck, and withers go under perfectly fine. Now, it's my turn. Spoiler. It was not as "perfectly fine." My head went straight into the branch. OOF. I went backwards and sideways, and I slid right off. She stops, as she always does when I fall off, and gives me that "you stupid human! I told you!" look.

Oh, yeah, there was enough room - for her. She knew that, but she looks out for me. I am convinced that her telling me "no" was her way of telling me I wasn't going to fit. I know and have ridden a lot of horses that would have been like, "yee haw!" and, without a second thought, have brushed me under those branches. I bet some would have even tried to leave me once I fell off.

She's too good for me; my poor horse is stuck with a stupid human.

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
One of my guys is a ex, retired barrel racer....
Years of his training to get as close as possible but not touch...
He lives up to his training...
I have rub marks on saddle fenders and saddle flap...thankfully I can still yank a knee in a hurry to my chin...
He can touch, he can't topple...but he does try. :neutral:
Now if said wonder horse should decide to sidestep at the same instant...splat and not a face plant but definitely a body plant in a undignified lump on the ground. :icon_rolleyes:

I can imagine some stories our horses tell each other gathered around the hay pile at night...:rofl: :lol:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I'm not sure they don't calculate that in; I have certainly known a few ponies that show their dislike of certain riders by riding under and between tight spaces...

Not just ponies - I had one scraping me off on a tree trunk on purpose... At a canter... He miscalculated though: I got stuck in the tree and didn't let go of the reins (don't ask me how :shock:) He didn't try again :biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.