The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I posted about getting my new rescue mare the other day and finally got pictures uploaded to photobucket to show yall!

Her name is Joyce (TWHBEA reg. Joyace Faye... incidentally she's half-sister to my TWH gelding Dakota!). She's jet black (no white anywhere), 17 y/o, and about 14-3/15 hands tall (I measured her yesterday).

She's several hundred pounds underweight and severely neglected, but already she seems be to more alert than she was when I got her home (Nov. 1).

As far as feed goes, she's getting alfalfa pellets, equistages pellets, a joint supplement, a fat supplement, 24/7 access to alfalfa hay, and 24/7 access to a mineral/salt lick. She was dewormed yesterday with Ivermectin and will be dewormed again in two weeks time with Fenbendazole.

I am making an appointment with the vet tomorrow to come out in two weeks time to float her teeth and vaccinate her.

NOVEMBER 2,
The morning after I got her (it was literally about 6:30am when I took this picture).

NOVEMBER 2
Later that afternoon

HER MANE
Before and after (I used a LOT of Showsheen getting those burs out!)

HER TAIL
Before and After (again, I used a LOT of Showsheen on those burs...)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Be VERY careful giving her so much alfalfa. I would suggest giving more grass hay than alfalfa, and using the alf as a supplement, more or less. You run risk of overloading her kidneys with too much. Especially with her being so poor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Holy burrs!!!! You did a great job on them!! Enjoy your baby!! Im sure she is so thankful for you!! :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Glad to see that this mare is at a home where she is actually going to get the care that she needs to be happy <3

·
Registered
812 Posts
Wow.. Great job on getting those burrs out. I will also be following your progress with her. Good luck :). She looks like she'll be very pretty once she's in better condition.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Ditto on not feeding her too much alfalfa. If that's all the hay you have, maybe get some Standlee timothy cubes or pellets at Tractor Supply.

They equal pound for pound with baled hay. You could take a few pounds of alfalfa hay from her and add back an equal amount of timothy cubes or pellets.

I am impressed with her ears. Her ears are up, she is alert and she looks to have a very kind face, in spite of what she's been subjected to.

You've done a great job cleaning her up; she knows someone cares about her:)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
awe poor mare. i'm sure she was happy to be somewhere safe, and get a nice brushing to! cant wait to see her progress. Thanks for taking her on, i'm sure she appreciates it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So sorry for no updates yet! I will try to post one tomorrow! Joyce is doing good, though, and has been racking around the pasture and bullying up on my mare lately! Lol! She's feeling better and is showing it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts