The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 15 year old mare who has been sitting for ten years. I am trying to get her back in shape. She has stiff hocks and recently had an abscess. My farrier also said she is at risk of laminitis. As of right now, I am giving her MSM only. There are several things I am thinking about trying. Let me know if I should try all of them or just some. First, it has been recommended that I put aloe in her feed to promote gut health. Also, DMSO was recommended to help with her hocks, and I was thinking about getting some magnetic hock boots as well. Finally, to help with the laminitis risk, my farrier recommended Remission. Success stories? Opinions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
To start with, make sure your mare has good nutrition and speak with your vet about that. Farriers are a wealth of information, but your vet went to school for eight years to earn a doctorate- they're your best bet for accurate information. Besides that, bring her along very slowly and start with ground work to build up endurance as well as keeping an eye on her soundness. My mom's horse has ulcer issues and aloe is a great option, but we prefer Probios and Allay digestion buffer and calmer. DAC also has a tubed Ulcer guard that works really well, but it's a bit pricey.

I really can't stress enough though how important it is to get a vet involved on this though. I understand that it can be expensive, but having them come out and do a lameness exam should be enough to start building a working relationship with them so you can contact and ask questions when you're feeling unsure.

Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hi!
I have a 15 year old mare who has been sitting for ten years. I am trying to get her back in shape. She has stiff hocks and recently had an abscess. My farrier also said she is at risk of laminitis. As of right now, I am giving her MSM only. There are several things I am thinking about trying. Let me know if I should try all of them or just some. First, it has been recommended that I put aloe in her feed to promote gut health. Also, DMSO was recommended to help with her hocks, and I was thinking about getting some magnetic hock boots as well. Finally, to help with the laminitis risk, my farrier recommended Remission. Success stories? Opinions?
My late teen horses are all only on dolomite/calcium, oil and laminitis safe pellets. One of my 16 yr old rescue horses had stress induced laminitis so we waited for the farrier to give us an all clear and slowly eased her into work. Be careful getting your horse fit because if you go to fast it can be harmful. With the rescue I lunged her at a walk for half an hour a day for a week before adding a bit of trot and then after about a month I lunged her at the canter. My first ride on her was just a walk and I’ve been doing only a little bit of trot with her for the past month. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts