The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I bought a saddle about a year ago, and I had my trainer make sure that it fit my horse, as I know very little when it comes to fitting saddles. After I bought the saddle, I realized that it didn't fit my horse, while my trainer thought that it fit him well. It was leaving a dry spot on the right side of his withers that turned into a white spot, and I had my trainer look at the saddle fit again. This time she said that it was pinching him, and told me to find a different saddle. She put a flex tree saddle on my horse and said that it fit him, but when I rode him in it, he wouldn't pick up his leads, and he didn't want to stay in a lope. After I took the saddle off, sure enough, their were big dry spots on both sides of his withers, and he was sweating everywhere else, so they were quite obvious. My trainer still thinks that it fits my horse, and my parents believe my trainer's opinion. I'm very frustrated, as I don't know how to fit a saddle to my horse, and I don't trust my trainer's opinion anymore. Every saddle that I have ridden my horse in has left dry spots on the sides of his withers, and I do not want to keep hurting my horse.
Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello!
I bought a saddle about a year ago, and I had my trainer make sure that it fit my horse, as I know very little when it comes to fitting saddles. After I bought the saddle, I realized that it didn't fit my horse, while my trainer thought that it fit him well. It was leaving a dry spot on the right side of his withers that turned into a white spot, and I had my trainer look at the saddle fit again. This time she said that it was pinching him, and told me to find a different saddle. She put a flex tree saddle on my horse and said that it fit him, but when I rode him in it, he wouldn't pick up his leads, and he didn't want to stay in a lope. After I took the saddle off, sure enough, their were big dry spots on both sides of his withers, and he was sweating everywhere else, so they were quite obvious. My trainer still thinks that it fits my horse, and my parents believe my trainer's opinion. I'm very frustrated, as I don't know how to fit a saddle to my horse, and I don't trust my trainer's opinion anymore. Every saddle that I have ridden my horse in has left dry spots on the sides of his withers, and I do not want to keep hurting my horse.
Thank you for your time!

It does sound like your trainer doesn't know how to fit a saddle. Just curious what sort of saddle pad/blanket/numnah/etc are you using under it? If the saddle is a tight fit, thick padding underneath it will create less space between the saddle and the horses back.

I would also be getting an actual saddle fitter out, just to check the fit. If the saddle fits, awesome... If not then they can advise on where to go from there. :)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Can you get us some photos of the saddle on the horse without a saddle pad? Pics angled at the front of the saddle on both sides, straight from the side on both sides and at the back of the saddle would be great :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I finally switched to a Bob Marshall treeless saddle with a cool grip Supracore pad and never looked back. A treeless fits every horse and the treeless pad keeps you up off his spine. They are also much lighter than a treed saddle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't get picture of the saddle because my trainer has it, and I'm afraid that if I ask to try it on him again, she'll make me buy it. I'll try to get some picture of my horse's back this weekend when I have more time at the stable with him. I've been using a Billy Cook VIP pad that I got last Christmas on him, this one:Action Company - Product Details

How do I find a good saddle fitter?
I only have $400 to spend on a saddle , so have been looking at buying a used saddle.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Some tacks stores will let you bring the horse there and they have a saddle fitter on hand. I know a place here in az lets people do that.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
No one can make you buy anything... come on now.

Sounds like none of the saddles are fitting properly, and need small adjustments to fit. Also horses can change their musculature on a monthly basis, so you need to always make sure the saddle fits continuously.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Start researching how to fit a saddle, Google, YouTube, what ever you can get your hands on to.

You won't be an expert but at least the next time you put that saddle on, or any saddle for that matter you should have a general idea of how it should fit.

Getting a saddle fitter out would be your best bet though.

And $400 is plenty to buy a goof quality second hand saddle :) I always buy second hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts