The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom does pony rides, and has a stallion on the property that she occasionally breeds to two brood mares. That's how I acquired my son's pony, Duncan (more pictures can be seen on my page). Keep in mind that my son is not yet even two and has his own pony.

In August I found out I'm pregnant with twins (due in March). I mentioned to my mom that, of course, the twins were going to need their own ponies so we could all go riding.

Luckily, Duncan has a full brother and a half brother that might just fit the bill. She has a girl that works for her that is willing to tame and train them for free just because she enjoys doing it (though I'm going to pay her anyway).

Here's the obligatory rear end shot.
The biggest one is my boy Duncan; I trained him myself from the day he was born and he's a super in your pocket pony. The middle one is his half brother Dandy. He'll belong to my girl twin. He's only 2. The smallest one in Duncan's full brother Dash. He's earned that name by being hard to catch, and will belong to the boy twin. Dandy is pretty tame but Dash still needs a lot of socialization with people. But since he's not even one yet I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine.

And now from the front. They all have white on their face, but Duncan and Dandy only have a star so you can't see it under their forelocks.

That's all for today! Hopefully I'll be able to get a picture of my two year old actually riding his pony tomorrow.

·
Registered
49,722 Posts
How you will have time for ponies, with a toddler and infant TWINS, is beyond me. But it's a very charming storybook plan and I hope it works for you all

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How you will have time for ponies, with a toddler and infant TWINS, is beyond me. But it's a very charming storybook plan and I hope it works for you all
My mom is going to keep them at her place and use them for pony rides until the kids are big enough My son can already keep his balance well enough for a lead line ride, but you're right. I'm not going to have any time for riding until they're all over three :p I just happened to mention (joking) that the twins would need ponies too since the toddler already has one, and my mom laughed and said "If there's one thing we can do well, it's breed ponies." I had actually already thought about adopting Dash since he's my pony's full brother, but when I found out I was pregnant I knew I wasn't going to have the time or energy to train him.
Anyway, I hope it all works out too! If nothing else, she'll have two extra trained ponies to keep or sell. But Duncan stays.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Here's my two year old on his pony Duncan. It take him a minute to remember how to ride, and this saddle didn't have a rough out on the seat to keep him from sliding, but once we got started he enjoyed it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What an adorable bunch of ponies :). Your kids are REALLY lucky.
I hope to have them grow up KNOWING that they are lucky. I grew up with horses and got pretty jaded about it even when other kids would swoon over them and would kill to have their own. I don't want my kids to be the same way-- they don't have to always be interested in riding (and if they really don't like it then it's back to the pony farm with their rides!), but I do want them to know that they are indeed very blessed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts