The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare has had 3 episodes of what I consider to be tying up.

As some history:

I bought Harmony as a long yearling. Upon starting her under saddle, she clearly had trouble at the canter. I had 3 vets look at her at that time, x rays done. All were normal. We did injections (stifles and SI) with no improvement. I thought about kissing spine, but didn't have the funds for further diagnosis. She never showed back pain on palpation.

She went about happily as a walk trot trail horse for several years. Many long rides. No problems. Then once each summer for the last 2 years, she had scary episodes. She stopped, assumed a urinary stance, and then laid down. Not colicy- she would eat through the episodes if you hand fed her. I thought she was overheating and dumped water on her, eventually got her to the creek on the way back and soaked her. Then she seemed normal again. I thought it was heat stress and assumed she would need summers off. Each time this happened, it was extremely hot.

This spring, on our first ride back after 3 months (minus one or two walking rides in the yard), she again had a minor episode. This time on a nice day. Urinary stance, refusal to move, looked at the ground without laying down. I immediately got off and rested her 20 minutes and then she was bright eyed and eager to go again. It was a very slow ride (walking only with a lunch break). Maybe 7 miles total.

Here's a video of her cantering:
https://m.youtube.com/watchv=obicbfhfn3y

After her most recent episode, I had bloodwork pulled. AST was normal. CK was 550. The vet feels maybe she was just exercised too hard while being out of shape. She recommended a trial of the pssm diet, and a gradual conditioning program. And to add electrolytes (which she is already on) But she thinks it's unlikely this is pssm type 2. She thinks it's likely she has a lameness issue and just tied up from working too strenuously while being out of shape.

The vet thinks we should do a lameness exam next. I'm not really interested in that. She charges $300 an hour plus whatever else they end up doing. Easily $1000 just to get her examined. The x rays are out dated, we would probably need to do more and then nerve blocks... The last vet said to get a nuclear scan at the university.

I don't think a healthy horse should tie up on a easy ride. It just seems abnormal to me. :think:

I'm very familiar with type 1 pssm- this is totally different. No muscle spasms. She just stops, does the urinary stance, and starts looking at the ground. She tested negative for type 1 pssm.

I've put her on the pssm type 2 diet. Adding protein. Hopefully it helps because I'm at a loss here.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have no help but want to offer you encouragement. We do not pre-condition our horses after their winter break. I rode twice last week on a horse that had about 5 months off for winter and never had an issue. I hope the diet works for you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does it only happen in the Spring/Summer months? I wonder if it has something to do with her going into heat? Maybe an ovarian cyst or something like that.
I hope you figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts