The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is not my horse, so I can't have him checked out by a vet or anything, though I know he most likely needs it. I KNOW, and it pains me that he has not been, to my knowledge. I do handle him at times though, so I'd like to know if I could make things more comfortable for him, in any way.

So this horse is a stallion, I'm not quite sure how old, but he's probably on the older side. He seems almost like he has some sort of neurological problem, as he's very wobbly on his feet. In fact, I've seen him go down on his knees a few times, just from a walk.

He can't seem to keep his head steady when he moves, and just seems like he'll tip over at any second. It's kind of hard to explain, but when I'm leading him, it almost feels like he has little control of his legs. He will kind of pick one up, stretch it in front of him, and plop it down, almost without any bend in his joint. And he'll make an exaggerated up-down with his head.

Any idea what this can be?

·
Registered
492 Posts
A lady lost a horse to something like this a few weeks back on HF, not sure what it's called. Bumping thread so someone more knowledgable will respond.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds exactly like a neurological problem. Do you know how long he's been showing symptoms? The first things that come to mind are:

-EPM (Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis): is an illness spread by protozoan that cause neurologic symptoms. Loss of coordination, stumbling, head tilt and or low set head.

-West Nile Virus: causes neurologic symptoms in horses.

Is he losing weight?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds exactly like a neurological problem. Do you know how long he's been showing symptoms? The first things that come to mind are:
Is he losing weight?
I'm not sure, I haven't handled him for long, but he has definitely gotten a lot worse, and people have talked about it a lot more, within the last few months. He hasn't been ride-able for around a month now, and at this point I'm afraid of even leading him around.

I do think he's lost weight, but that may have been bad hay. Though there's another horse in the same barn who's lost weight in the same time period. The others are doing well, although they are smaller.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for West Nile, I'm in Canada. I've always thought that that was a tropical disease...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure, I haven't handled him for long, but he has definitely gotten a lot worse, and people have talked about it a lot more, within the last few months. He hasn't been ride-able for around a month now, and at this point I'm afraid of even leading him around.
Due to the fact that the symptoms have been present for a good while (over a month) I think that would rule out West Nile Virus.

However, because he has continually deteriorated...that would strengthen my suspicions about EPM.

Here is an article about it. Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis - AAEP

Obviously we can only guess about his condition on here. And like you said, best case scenario would be to have him seen by a vet:cry:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just been told the owner will not have him checked out :(

I have no idea what to do, and he seems to be getting worse. He didn't even react when I walked into the barn. He used to scream for his food!

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is so sad, and I don't know how close this person is to you, and I don't want to sound like a trouble maker, but in my area, animals can be seized for medical neglect, and I sure hate seeing this guy suffer. If the Marquis is a treatment, is there no way anyone can chip in to afford it. Sorry to ask, but I just barely skimmed over that part. I know of several animals whom have been seized over the years, because of improper medical care, or lack of it. One instance was cats, a lady had taken her cats to the vet for treatment of eye infections, when she didn't return for her follow up appointment, he called animal control, and they seized the cats. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
From what I've read on the forum, my first inquiries would be to EPM as well.

As for West Nile - that is definitely in Canada. It is not a tropical disease and is commonly spread by mosquitoes.

·
Registered
964 Posts
As for West Nile, I'm in Canada. I've always thought that that was a tropical disease...
No, it's not, Google it and see if it's in your area (in horses) as it is in Canada.

PS I'd report this horse to the Humane Society ot whatever other agency you can, this poor boy is suffering.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately animal welfare laws here are pretty lax... there's not much the authorities will do, even if an animal is in REALLY REALLY bad shape.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, I don't think money is the problem. The owner seems to have enough of that. Which is what really bothers me, since I can't find a reason for not getting him treated.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Can you, and maybe a group of the other people talking about it, sit down nicely with the owner and explain your concerns? Or maybe go to the BO and have them talk to the owner? Can you just ask WHY they don't want to contact the vet? Sounds like maybe it's his time. Not to jump the gun, but the vet can come out and put him down instead of vet bills and "rehab". Some people just can't handle it though and personally I don't think it's fair to let an animal suffer because you don't have the guts to do what's right for them... But tangent over, if there are several people worried about him maybe you could all donate and offer a vet fund for at least a check up. Maybe that would prompt the owner.
As far as you handling him, be VERY careful. He could easily hurt you accidently. If he is wobbly just work with him and let him take his time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The owner is our BO :Z

Some of the others have talked to him too. Didn't get much of an answer.

I'm presently having a dilemma on whether or not to let him outside. He seems a lot happier in the paddock, but I'm scared he'll decide to roll and won't be able to get up in our crazy deep mud.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi wtwg, I'm in Quebec as well, if you live near Hudson/st.lazare area there's a group of horse people that I can put you in touch with to help that boy. Maybe having someone watch him awhile and let him roam in the paddock for awhile? An hour turnout is better then no turnout :)
Pm if your interested and ill send you my email.

The animal welfare laws here are abominable.....:evil:

Reactions: Boo Walker

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Turn him out. If the goes down and can't get up at least that will be the end of it.... unless you think the BO would just let the horse lay there unable to get up and therefore unable to pee until he dies of uremic poisoning or a burst bladder.

If he has EPM, which it surely sounds like, then he is near the end of his days anyway.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Could be Wobblers disease.

Wobbler disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A horse at my barn ended up having this condition. He started tripping more, then he was walking like he was drunk. The vet came and did a quick "test" on him by pulling his tail to the left and to the right while he walked. The horse practically fell over. That was the end of his riding days, it wasn't safe. He ended up being PTS because of the high likelihood of him falling and hurting himself on the ice and snow.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
How is the horse's attitude? Does he seem a little nervous, or spooky. Is there anything else that stands out, even if you think it is unrelated? Sometimes what we think are unrelated or even training issues, could be a symptom. For instance everyone thought my horse slowly seemed to lose training, would sweat a little excessively for the work done, and started becoming mean as well as flighty. He would have muscle tremors and issues in his hind end. He turned out to have a magnesium deficiency which can cause ALL of the above, including the attitude problems.

It may help to know a bit about his attitude, etc. Mineral imbalances affect the neuro system so these too should be ruled out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.