The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

As many of you know, my pony came home yesterday - a 13.3 bay/paint breed-unknown pony mare.

I'm not absolutely in love with the name she came with - Lacy, so I'm trying to decide a new one. I do kind of like her previous show name - Lucky Charm. (She actually was the 9th pony I tried out and 9 is my lucky number, so I think that's cute.)

Some names I tried to roll around are Juniper and Clover. I love nature-y names. But my husband and I don't feel like either are clicking.

Personality and Details: Affectionate and curious. Engaged and intelligent. Floaty, pretty trot. Horse-sized canter stride. Not extremely forward - needs a reason to work.

Secondary thoughts on good matching colors for saddle pads/halters/blankets? Right now lilac/lavender are her colors. I personally love soft pinks. But her gorgeous, unique coloring might fit something else more, like teal?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Clover? Sort of plays on the whole "lucky" thing and is nature.

Also... more pictures!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clover? Sort of plays on the whole "lucky" thing and is nature.

Also... more pictures!!!
OHHH! That adds a whole new dimension to Clover I didn't think of. I love it. Let me see if that changes things.

Today I also thought of Aurora, but Auri for short. No real connection to Lucky Charm, but Disney-related like my name (Ariel).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like Clover with nicknames of Chloe and Clo, but my husband adamantly doesn't and he's really getting attached to her so he has some emotional investment in her having the right name. :( He actually prefers Lacey, her name now, which I don't at all. It just sounds too prissy and stuck-up to me. Maybe I knew a girl in HS with that name and just don't remember it. Hahaha. That's how most names were ruined for me - knowing someone I didn't like with the name.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
She looks so pretty and elegant. I can see Lacey suiting her, but if you don't like it, you don't like it! What about Lilac (as a name not a color for her)? Otherwise, if I am not liking a name in English, I always try translating it into another language that I like. For example, Lilac is apparently Lila in Spanish.

I commiserate as it is really hard finding a name. We are just in the process for a future puppy as our dog recently died. I am more of the let's just wait and meet the new future dog first and see what it is like but my two kids are all over trying to choose names now and they generally come up with things that the other one does not like.

Good luck choosing a name and enjoy your pony!

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Well... how about "The Queen's Lace" named after Queen Anne's Lace {plant}..would keep the Lace part but be different and if you not like so much "Lacey" for a barn name she could become Annie?...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Definitely jewel tones like deep emerald or ruby!! She is stunning, and I'm not usually partial to ponies! I think deep emerald would be so dignified and royal looking, complimenting her elegance and fine features!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats one cute girl. Personally I would just do a small name change from "Lacy" to "Lucy". I think it would suit her.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions so far! No name has quite stuck, and it does seem Clover probably won't be the one either. I just have so many more reasons for not liking names than liking them! Oof. Auri/Aurora has stuck a bit though - I tried it on her yesterday and didn't hate it. I'd kind of want to change her show name to match though, if I did go with that one.

I do understand the concept of not changing a ship's name, but just have to disagree when it comes to animals. I use naming as a part of bonding/forming a deep understanding with my pets. She also has only been Lacey for about 8 months or so, so nothing like a name she'd been with for years. With my dog and cat the process took up to 2 weeks, but since she is boarded and so many other people are interacting with her day to day, I feel pressured to pick her new name soon as to not confuse people.

I love the idea of jewel tones for her color. I think perhaps ruby/burgundy the best, or turquoise/jade, or deep purple. Going to see what halters/lead ropes I can find in those shades.

Her nickname for now is Princess Pony. Just wanted to share these pictures I took for a saddle fitter yesterday because I think she looks stunning. I really need to start her journal soon...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Out of left field in different but....
How about "Prissy".........

A combination of Princess Pony...gives you Prissy and she is prissy delicate and sweet looking.

Her barn name though doesn't have to be anything of her show name either.
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts