The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently got the book "Horse, Follow Closely" by GaWaNi PonyBoy for my birthday, and I really enjoy his techniques. I also got the video that comes with it. However, he never has anything about join-up in the ten exersizes (sp) and I really wanted to learn abut that. Is it in the video? Also, does anyone use his methods? Thanks, Almond Joy :wink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ponyboy is cool. I like his style and his book has a beautiful collection of photos. It's all the same horsemanship though. Like someone else said, 'join-up' is just what Monty calls it. Buck calls it 'hooking on'. Same technique. All you have to do is create some energy in the horse and then direct it. It's one of those things that takes awhile to get good at but the technique itself is simple. The confidence in your intent, basically, is what determines how effective it will be when you practice it with the horse.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The Native Americans were (if I remember correctly) quite cruel compared to todays standards of horse breaking and training.
Just like today, there were good trainers and bad. I've read a book by a Native American, (can't remember the nation or author at the moment) and what he describe was something along the lines of Clinton Anderson.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Just like today, there were good trainers and bad. I've read a book by a Native American, (can't remember the nation or author at the moment) and what he describe was something along the lines of Clinton Anderson.
I'm aware understanding of the animals and acceptable practices change over time, I'm not out right faulting the Native American's, and my knowledge is admittedly limited xD Good to be on here though, looking to learn a few things.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
What Ponyboy does is decent training but it has absolutely nothing to do with any Native American heritage. He learned it from present day trainers, but puts some stereotyped "mystical" Native American spin on it. It bugs me when people trade on their heritage simply as a way to sell their ideas.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
i dont see how you can trademark English words used in a normal manner. Thats why you usually see trademarked phrases misspelled.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
My husband was half Lakota, so our children are 1/4 Lakota. We have lived on two reservations. One child still living on one.

There really is no one "Native American Horsemanship" any more than there is one European Horsemanship or South American... you get the idea. If you like that Pony Boy guy's was of doing things, give it a shot. But no one person can claim a style for many nations and people. Marketing, that's all it is.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks! I have no horse of my own now to try it out on, nut a friend of mine might be trying it, so we'll see how it works with her mare and yearling...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I take the "Native American Horsemanship" concept about as seriously as I would if someone said they were Irish and did a "Celtic Horsemanship" method - which consisted of twirling stuff in horses' faces while the Riverdance soundtrack played in the background.:lol:

It's a gimmick, that's all it is. Just another "angle" for marketing basic horsemanship to an audience that wants it to be easy to follow.

The ironic thing is, so many people I've met who follow book/DVD programs are so anxious about whether or not they're doing things the way their chosen guru's program says to do them, they're not even paying attention to the way their own horse is responding.

They'd be much better off taking riding lessons with a qualified trainer, or finding a mentor in the area who can watch THEM work with THEIR horse and offer suggestions based on what they see happening.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Natural HORSEMANSHIP,
Parrelli HORSEMANSHIP
Downunder HORSEMANSHIP
Native HORSEMANSHIP
no dust HORSEMANSHIP
Whatever HORSEMANSHIP

The key word here is horsemanship. Everthing else is marketing to get you to buy that specific horsemanship style. I've watched alot of different stuff and short of the names and some of the different tools(handy stick, llounge whip,flag,lariat) all used for the same thing, they are all pretty much the same. they rely on timing and experience to get what you desire from a horse.

maybe I should start the Firemans Horsemanship style. My catch phrase could be "don't burn out your horse, burn out your competion". Who here has some marketing experience? we need to run with this!!! :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What Ponyboy does is decent training but it has absolutely nothing to do with any Native American heritage. He learned it from present day trainers, but puts some stereotyped "mystical" Native American spin on it. It bugs me when people trade on their heritage simply as a way to sell their ideas.
…and no Native American man with any self-respect that I know of would ever choose "boy" as part of their name.

Reactions: boots and Asama

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well well, a new one! :lol:
I didn't knew him! I like his hair very much! :thumbsup:

Not many videos on youtube... :sad:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Horse Poor, I loved this:
"He would not talk about his lineage. Nor would his father, Tony Morrell, owner of Tony's Place, a steak and sandwich shop on Route 903 in Jim Thorpe.

"You'll have to talk to him," the father said. "He's running his business. I'm running mine."

His father said he will still call his son Kevin."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Natural HORSEMANSHIP,
Parrelli HORSEMANSHIP
Downunder HORSEMANSHIP
Native HORSEMANSHIP
no dust HORSEMANSHIP
Whatever HORSEMANSHIP

The key word here is horsemanship. Everthing else is marketing to get you to buy that specific horsemanship style. I've watched alot of different stuff and short of the names and some of the different tools(handy stick, llounge whip,flag,lariat) all used for the same thing, they are all pretty much the same. they rely on timing and experience to get what you desire from a horse.

maybe I should start the Firemans Horsemanship style. My catch phrase could be "don't burn out your horse, burn out your competion". Who here has some marketing experience? we need to run with this!!! :)
Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day!
Now where can I buy your DVD and book collection? OOh, and a fire engine red halter would be nice too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts