The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natural calming supplements?

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  CloudsMystique 
#1 ·
I've decided I'm going to put my gelding on a calming supplement. He's nervous and stressed and ulcer-prone, so it's for his own benefit. Is there anything that's a) natural, b) pretty cheap, and c) actually works?

BTW - I've had blood work done on him. He was a little anemic so, per my vet's recommendation, I put him on an all-around mineral supplement. He's not anemic anymore.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I've used Mare Magic with a lot of success, at the moment I am trying Vitamin B1 (it's cheaper) and can let you know how that goes later.

#7 ·
I personally have never had much success with calming supplements. They have actually made the horse's I've used them on even more uptight. But that being said, there's something called RelaxForm EQ that was highly recommended by a friend who is very into nutrition, and has done a lot of research into horse feeds, and supplements. It's $22 for a 13 ounce container at a local tack store in town. I've also heard lots of good things about Wendells herbs as well. I would also recommend maybe doing a hair sample. There are a couple companies that will do a hair analysis for you, and tell you what vitamins your horse needs to have adjusted, and what they do for his attitude, health ect. One company, don't remember the name unfortunately actually sells supplements as well, and they'll do the analysis, its $130 so pretty expensive, and then you can order the supplements, either premixed, or mix them yourself, that you horse needs. I know someone who's horse was actually pretty uptight and easily distracted so he did the hair analysis, and adjusted his horse's feed, and he's (the horse) is doing much better.

#11 ·
Before adding something to his diet, I would first look at what he's currently eating and what his turnout and riding schedule is like.

What kind of hay does hey get, how much, and how often?

What kind of grain/feed does he get, how much, and how often?

What other supplements does he get?

What are his living arrangements? (pasture 24/7, stalled 12 hours, etc.)

How often do you ride, for how long, and what kind of riding do you do?

After these questions are answered, we can give you better recommendations.

#12 ·
What kind of hay does hey get, how much, and how often?
He gets a scoop (I think it's a 3qt scoop) of alfalfa/orchard cubes in the morning and he's on a bale of TnA for 14+ hours overnight.

What kind of grain/feed does he get, how much, and how often?
One scoop (again, I think it's 3 quarts) of Nutrena Life Design complete in the morning and 1 scoop in the evening.

What other supplements does he get?
He gets one scoop of Platinum Performance in the morning.

What are his living arrangements? (pasture 24/7, stalled 12 hours, etc.)
He's stalled from about 8am to about 5pm. He's in the pasture overnight.

How often do you ride, for how long, and what kind of riding do you do?
I ride him Western and I ride almost every day. If I ride him in the arena, I ride for about 45 minutes and if I ride him on the trails, I ride for about two hours.

#14 ·
I also often wondered how well or if they work, I dont know much about calming supplements....I would be interested in learning more as well.

#15 ·
Hey Cloud - I have Nelson on a calming suppliment.

He is a TB, and he stresses easily, and he has ulcers and all the typical who haw TB's go through.

Since we will be eventing often this summer, that means that we are going to have to do alot of haul aways - which stresses him out. Which also means that he will have to stay in a strange stall, surrounded by strange horses, and he does not bode well with that emotionally......

I contact SmartPak Equine, and discussed the whole situation with a Consultant. Explaining just how Nelson reacts when he is away from his buddies, in new surroundings and etc, etc and his ulcers and colic and etc, etc, etc - they put him on SmartCalm Ultra.

He hasn't started it yet, it will be coming in his next shipment of suppliments on the 16th. I'm excited to see the results. They ensure that all it will do, will help ease his nerves, without him losing his edge. I wont have a "drunk" or "groggy" "dull" horse - he'll be exactly as he is now, without him overly stressing like he does now. It also has a digestive aid in it, so it will protect his tummy :)

I just can't say enough good about Smartpak equine :)

#16 ·
I was in a tack store when a lady recommended mare magic for cochise because I told her what a nervous nelly he could be. I could never find it locally so I got on smart pak equine and was checking out their stuff. He also seemed like he was having stomach issues from the stress of being at a trainers for a couple months, so I started him on the smart digest ultra they had...it totally took his side/handling sensitivity away..so I knew it was helping. After a few months of that I switched to the smartcalm ultra which seemed to help also..he was less nervous about the new stuff and started listening. They do also carry maremagic but I didnt try it. I really love their large range of products, they really have something for everyones price restrictions and check the catalog too because they do offer free shipping at times. I went with the smartpaks (28 day supply) because its very handy and doesnt really cost anymore than buying it in the cannister and you can cancel/change your order as long as you catch them before they process your order.

#18 ·
I agree with luvs2ride. I had a mare who was quite spooky and nervous and had her on every type of herb up the wazoo. As it ends up, half of them test in drug tests if you're going to be competing (so check the ingredient lists with your vet!) and I finally gave up and took her off and she didn't get any more nervous.
What I really found with her is that she was so un-dominant that she needed someone to tell her what to do and lay out rules so she knew what to do in every situation. The mare also wouldn't trust new people readily (moving barns with her I had to drive out to the barn all the time after emergency phone calls because the staff couldn't get her to walk into the barn, or into her stall, or past something, until she got used to the staff.). But with a routine and rules and knowing the people/horses around her she eventually became a very comfortable and capable horse. We also really had to manage her diet, she was always calmer on grass hay 24/7 than anything else. The mare lived with a hay net in front of her, and she was rarely supplemented except for free choice minerals. And when she grew up some (around 10) she really mellowed out and was fine with new people/situations and even started bossing other horses around.

#20 ·
Okay, I've ordered SmartCalm Ultra Pellets and I'll let you guys know how that goes in a few weeks or so. Thank you all for your help!

luvs2ride: - Thanks for the suggestions. We did just cut down his feed a few days ago because he's been gaining weight. I can't change his feed, but I can change his hay. I'll ask about that. Unfortunately, he can't go out during the day because he doesn't get along with the other horses, but he does get put on the walker for a few hours every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.