The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mare who has pretty decent length of the mane but I believe her nutrition is fine and proper for her, her hair gets dry and thin easily by itself. I do soak her mane in cowboy's magic but it doesn't last long unfortunately. Also, I have been trying to brush her hair to straighten out the horse mane waves. I would like to get her hair to straightened out and get rid of some awkward mane waves from lack of brushing for few years before I bought her.
I would like to have her mane straight and perhaps might give her a trim for showing purposes, plan to do hunter with her.

Her's her wonky wavey mane,

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
why did you cut off her forelock in such a way, that looks a little short to braid to make a nice hunter braid/knot.? You do not have a clean bridle path, from the poll to about 2 or 3 inches back on the neck. I think she has a normal looking mane from the photo, a lot people braid the mane, I would have one of the people at your barn who show in hunter classes in your area try to help you. You need to let her forelock grow out to a natural forelock, do not cut bangs on her, first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You wouldn't necessarily need a straight mane for hunter shows, since the majority of the participants braid. For the thinning and drying of the mane, just don't brush it for a little bit, the natural oils can really help! If that doesn't, maybe use some oils?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
why did you cut off her forelock in such a way, that looks a little short to braid to make a nice hunter braid/knot.? You do not have a clean bridle path, from the poll to about 2 or 3 inches back on the neck. I think she has a normal looking mane from the photo, a lot people braid the mane, I would have one of the people at your barn who show in hunter classes in your area try to help you. You need to let her forelock grow out to a natural forelock, do not cut bangs on her, first.
It looks to me like it's a bridle path being allowed to grow out. It always goes through a very awkward phase when that's happening!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I believe she's a Saddlebred. They buzz the forelock then for showing tie on a long ribbon, for Saddleseat showing. It does appear to be growing back but they are usually bald, with a long mane.
I have a Saddlebred who was a show horse before I got him. His forelock never grew back to full length.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.