The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really considering getting a navel piercing. I want the top of my navel done as I think that looks really cute :)

I have read other threads on here regarding piercings and riding but still unsure. I am pretty much decided that I will get it done when I have the money but am worried about a few things.

I have heard that they can get infected VERY easily and obviously, me being around horses all day every day worries me. Have any of you had issues with riding or working with horses with a belly bar?

Acrylic bars are a no no? I read somewhere that it is toxic but I also really liked the idea of having a flexible bar in once it has healed for riding and working.

Is wearing jodhpurs or jeans an issue? Because I spend about 90% of my life in them :p

What was the healing time for yours?

Have you had any issues with yours? Particularly horses related as most articles and advice I have read didn't account for horse folk like us.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I got mine done years ago (back when I was skinny and fit), and it was the silliest thing I could have done. I was doing a lot of breaks at the time (see previous sentance!!) so it caused my a good bit of discomfort when I was lean on the saddle at the start of the process. It only bothered me for a while but was never sore - just awkward.

Oddly, My piercing "disappeared".... the skin that was on the outside of the bar slowly "shrank" from lack of better word until it was a tiny piece of skin, that then broke (not painful) and just disappeared. I now have a scar but no holes. Wouldn't matter now anyway, the kids have well and truly put a stop to my mod-rif being exposed to anybody.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does sound odd! Sounds like your body was slowly rejecting the piercing and pushed the bar out (?) I have heard of that happening. I had never actually thought of breaks :/ Maybe that is something I should definitely consider. I certainly don't want to be tensing up when doing that xD Although, I know I'm not going to be doing it a lot in the future...

Thanks! x

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm sure it could be fine while breaking - I was just stupid and had it done while working at a pretraining/breaking yard and I had 6 in for breaking at the time :) Not one of my finer moment!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had all sorts of problems with mine after a few months. I got it done at a highly rated tattoo shop and paid quite a bit for it. It kept getting snagged on random things and it slowly started to get infected because it kept getting snagged and never got to fully heal. It was also uncomfortable when dismounting slowly (it was winter and I didn't want to hit the ground hard and get shooting pain up ankles lol) as my stomach would slide against the saddle. I would even put a bandaid over it or taped some gauze to prevent it but it didn't help much. I cleaned it daily with a saline solution and it did nothing for it, went to the dr for antibiotics and those didn't help. I eventually ended up taking it out and I have an ugly scar. I loved the way it looked but I regret getting it now because of the scar.

I basically lived in yoga pants and sweat pants and was comfortable. My high rise breeches would irritate the heck out of it. I would think jeans would be okay, but I know when you sit in jeans they rise a little bit (at least for me) so you may find them irritating or you may not, I guess it depends...I never found jeans comfortable so I rarely wear them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I went to get mine pierced after doing some reading. I hear they take an incredibly long time to heal on top of everything else. So taking that into account, shellybean posted exactly the things it'll inconvenience.

The tattoo parlor I went to discouraged me getting it pierced because of my size. I'm a fluffy gal and while I could handle the navel piercing standing up... Sitting down would become an issue as well as snagging. For a fluffy rider I don't have 'too' much of a stomach, but still. Apparently it also depends on how your navel actually is structured rides on success or 'failure.'

His recommendation was to buy some stick on gems and put them on your navel. You'll have a pretty good idea how much you hit it by how often it falls off. I didn't even get that far. When he told me my size could push the bar out of the piercing I was like "Yep - no thanks!"

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I got mine pierced about 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it.

I was still in college at the time, and it was the middle of winter so I wasn't doing much riding while it was healing. I made sure to follow the instructions to a tee, soaking it in epsom salt water several times a day.

I ride both English and Western and have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I don't have one and probably won't. Though the thought of getting my ears pierced in the way future interests me.

I would like to ask, why do people want one? With riding you'll pretty much always have it covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I would like to ask, why do people want one? With riding you'll pretty much always have it covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

I suppose because we don't spend our entire life IN the saddle. A significant portion maybe, but there is still plenty of time for the beach, club, chillin with friends, ect.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone :) It's good to hear from likewise people.

I don't have one and probably won't. Though the thought of getting my ears pierced in the way future interests me.

Posted via Mobile Device
I got my ears done about 10/11 years ago and then again 4 years ago :D They just feel so natural to me and I've never had a real problem.

Yes, when riding and working with horses, it'll be covered but as said above there are other aspects to our lives! But mainly, I just want it for myself, I know its there ;)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I got mine peirced and eventually after a few months had to take it out because it would not heal. I took care of it just like I had been told, but it still wouldn't heal. I also had both my eyebrows peirced and they never did fully heal either. It just depends on how your body reacts. I've had my ears peirced since I was a teen and still to this day they give me problems if I leave them in longer than a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
976 Posts
I pierced mine myself a few years ago and it actually did well. (Stupid idea, but I survived. It actually didn't hurt that bad.) It did catch on everything, but once it was healed it was more annoying than painful. I did eventually let it close up but I'm hoping to have it re-pierced in a few years time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
As a nurse, I never really gave body piercings much thought-live and let live, individual choice and all. However, I recently took care of a girl, now in her late 20's, who is very sorry she ever got anything pierced. She developed an infection, it abscessed, got into her lymph node and she is STILL, about 10 years later, battling this. The infection gets under control, then will flare up and she will develop another abscess in a random place on her body from another lymph node. She now has disfiguring scars from surgeries to try and correct the problem, as well as (I know this sounds gross, and it is) several fingernail size holes in different places that continue to drain. Because of the drainage her skin is sore, and she is a very uncomfortable, and sick, girl.

I realize that few develop this, but I am sure, after talking to this girl she never thought she would get it either.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had mine pierced when I was 16 and regretted it when I had trouble with it healing. I took perfect care of it but it still got red and a little infected, and when it finally healed over well (months later) I just got annoyed with worrying about it. After watching an episode of a show where a girl accidentally ripped her belly ring out, I was done and took it out. :lol: I didn't find it too bad with mounting/dismounting but I constantly had the worry in the back of my mind that I would catch it on the saddle somehow.

I've heard it's not uncommon for the piercing to be rejected, as well. About a year after I got mine I noticed the skin over the holes was getting thinner and thinner, so I think I was heading that way myself even though it seemed like it was healed.

Wasn't a good decision for me because I was so horrified of the thought of catching it on something, but it could be fine for you.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got mine peirced and eventually after a few months had to take it out because it would not heal. I took care of it just like I had been told, but it still wouldn't heal. I also had both my eyebrows peirced and they never did fully heal either. It just depends on how your body reacts. I've had my ears peirced since I was a teen and still to this day they give me problems if I leave them in longer than a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have heard that there are sometimes healing issues with navels. Odd that you have problems with your ears though. Mine had healed within 5-6 weeks both times I had them done. I know that navels have one of the longest healing times for piercings, about 9 months.

As a nurse, I never really gave body piercings much thought-live and let live, individual choice and all. However, I recently took care of a girl, now in her late 20's, who is very sorry she ever got anything pierced. She developed an infection, it abscessed, got into her lymph node and she is STILL, about 10 years later, battling this. The infection gets under control, then will flare up and she will develop another abscess in a random place on her body from another lymph node. She now has disfiguring scars from surgeries to try and correct the problem, as well as (I know this sounds gross, and it is) several fingernail size holes in different places that continue to drain. Because of the drainage her skin is sore, and she is a very uncomfortable, and sick, girl.

I realize that few develop this, but I am sure, after talking to this girl she never thought she would get it either.
I hope this is a very rare case! As I have never heard of that happening. I mean, I know its possible but most people I know have piercings and have had nothing on that scale. Poor girl. May I ask was it a belly bar that got infected in the first place?

I did once have an abscess in one of my ear piercings. It was probably lingering for about 1-2 months but then I bit the bullet and drew it out with salt water whilst wearing earrings so it didn't heal up! It looked pretty funky for a week but then settled down. I think I must have got dirt right inside the piecing. It was a weird thing to happen nearly 10 years after I had them pierced...

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
It may very well have taken more than a few months to fully heal. My cartilage piercings took the better part of a year, but they did heal all the way after awhile. Of course, some bodies just reject piercings. My guess is that if your ears hurt if you leave earrings in for longer than a few hours that you're either sensitive to the metals being used (make sure you buy high quality jewelry if you're sensitive) or that your ears are starting to close in between wearing them and that the earrings are stretching out the holes. I've heard of that happening, and it's happened to me if I haven't worn earrings in awhile.

I have heard that there are sometimes healing issues with navels. Odd that you have problems with your ears though. Mine had healed within 5-6 weeks both times I had them done. I know that navels have one of the longest healing times for piercings, about 9 months.

I hope this is a very rare case! As I have never heard of that happening. I mean, I know its possible but most people I know have piercings and have had nothing on that scale. Poor girl. May I ask was it a belly bar that got infected in the first place?

I did once have an abscess in one of my ear piercings. It was probably lingering for about 1-2 months but then I bit the bullet and drew it out with salt water whilst wearing earrings so it didn't heal up! It looked pretty funky for a week but then settled down. I think I must have got dirt right inside the piecing. It was a weird thing to happen nearly 10 years after I had them pierced...

Thanks again everyone.
It can depend on where the ear piercing is as to how long it takes to heal. I've had my ears pierced on 5 occasions... three in my lobes (though I allowed one of the sets to close up because it was uneven), my tragus in one ear, and my antitragus in my other ear. None of the lobe piercings took a particularly long time to heal, but I had a little trouble with both of the cartilage piercings. I don't know exactly how long the anti tragus took to heal, but I got it done two Januaries ago and it was still being problematic August of that year. I think that one took longer to heal than the tragus because I had trouble not sleeping on the right side of my head :lol: It did end up healing just fine within the year, but there was a little bit of scar tissue both times that had to go away. There were a few times when I considered taking that one out, but I really like it and am glad that I didn't!

As far as navel piercings go, I can't give too much comment on them. I know plenty of people that have them and they've healed successfully, but I'm not a fan of them and haven't looked much into their healing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had one. It never really healed and always bothered me. I took it out when I got pregnant with baby number one and 13 years later I still sometimes get a small infection where the tiny hole exists still. The initial pain wasn't as bad as my dang tongue piercing but because of all my issues with the naval piercing I don't recommend doing it when people ask. My 35 year old self can't believe I ever did piercings and tattoos. Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Huh, I read most of the replies and I want to say I never had a problem with mine. Mine healed quickly and it never got infected(I didn't clean it as much as recommend either). Not being able to sleep on your stomach for awhile sucks and you might be sore for awhile but all in all the healing process isn't that bad. I still have mine in and the only time I ever get it caught on something is when I have a dangle belly button ring in which I don't wear very often since I work with race horses and I could see it ripping out. It doesn't get in the way or bother me when I ride at all so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(though I allowed one of the sets to close up because it was uneven)
Ha! This happened to me. I got my seconds done at Claire's stupidly and they are really off... I took them out and left them for a year to heal but they never did so I just put studs in them now haha or i wear large earrings in my firsts. I just mix it up a little and it works out :p

Huh, I read most of the replies and I want to say I never had a problem with mine. Mine healed quickly and it never got infected(I didn't clean it as much as recommend either). Not being able to sleep on your stomach for awhile sucks and you might be sore for awhile but all in all the healing process isn't that bad. I still have mine in and the only time I ever get it caught on something is when I have a dangle belly button ring in which I don't wear very often since I work with race horses and I could see it ripping out. It doesn't get in the way or bother me when I ride at all so I wouldn't be concerned about that.
I think I may really have an issue not being able to sleep on my stomach.... I tried last night and couldn't get to sleep for ages. I then woke up this morning on my tummy! yeah I don't think it'll work...

I may have just found the solution though....
I have seen clip on belly jewelry so I am going to get one to see how annoying it is, how often I catch it when riding etc.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I now have a scar...
ANY body piercing + horses are a mistake when you wear jewelry handling/riding horses. When I taught lessons, I always checked my students for dangling and loop earrings. If they HAD to wear earrings, I suggested only studs. I asked for the other earrings and would hold them through a lesson. Sometimes they never asked for them back, and I had a small collection.

If your skin is exposed with the jewelry and a horse's mane or tail catches on it, it WILL pull.

I don't care to get any scars from things that I can prevent. I have enough scars from accidents.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.